Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SyncToy 2.1 folder sequencing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:49 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I've searched high and low and found nothing. When using SyncToy 2.1 how is it possible to define the folder sequence when running or syncing all folders. I have a subfolder which must run first, before the parent folder in automatic or task scheduling run. I've tried all the intuitive setup with no luck. I've found that folders are not run alphabetical, they are not run as they were created and they are not run based on size. It appears totally random from auto-run to auto-run. Aside from running the folders manually, can anyone shed some light for me so I can automate?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: SyncToy 2.1 folder sequencing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:04 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I don't know how you would do it natively within SyncToy, but I figured out a round about way to do it. Create a folder pair for the subfolder and another one for the parent folder. From my limited testing (~3 trials), SyncToy runs the folder pairs in the order they are listed, so, if this holds up, you can put the subfolder pair above the parent folder pair, then do a run all. If SyncToy does not always run the folder pairs in the order they are listed, you have two options: run each pair individually from the command line with a script, or create a separate task for each pair (instructions for both are in the F1 help under "SyncToy How To Topics"). If you go the task or script route, you'll have to make sure the first pair finishes running before the second starts; otherwise the second one won't run.

Out of curiosity, why do you have to run the subfolder before the parent folder?

Post subject: Re: SyncToy 2.1 folder sequencing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:42 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I use even maybe even abuse my Desktop on a daily basis. So I include my W7 Desktop folder in a sync to my daily data backup folder. It needs to run first, before the parent runs or the sync won't be a real or true sync. This simple parent and child folder functionality seems like an elemental feature that the latest version of SyncToy has just plain missed. Other than this gaffe, it's a fantastic and uberlight backup app.