Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 7 sp1 high 35% cpu usage - high system interupts
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:41 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I just installed windows 7 ultimate sp1 - Like the title says I'm seeing 35% cpu usage with nothing going on. I googled around and ran traces to see which driver it was, turned out the ahci driver was doing it. The USB driver showed similarly high latency but that can be delt with later.

This god damned Asus P5Q Pro Turbo's fucked up Sata implementation is to blame I think. I'll bet when I switch my ports to IDE compatibility mode (hopefully it will still boot) this problem will still be there.

Has anyone had this problem? Most forums recommend upgrading your drivers but this problem has stayed constant both with microsoft's stock drivers for everything and after running windows built in search for drivers and after I manually grabbed the latest drivers for everything. I noticed this on my P35 mobo as well... ahci didnt *really* affect the benchmarks but it did make the system as a whole more glitchy.

ImageImage
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7590/latmon.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5393/latmon2.jpg
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/710/trace.jpg

Last edited by urmumsacow on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 sp1 high 35% cpu usage - high system interupts
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:30 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

urmumsacow wrote:
I just installed windows 7 ultimate sp1 - Like the title says I'm seeing 35% cpu usage with nothing going on. I googled around and ran traces to see which driver it was, turned out the ahci driver was doing it. The USB driver showed similarly high latency but that can be delt with later.

This god damned Asus P5Q Pro Turbo's fucked up Sata implementation is to blame I think. I'll bet when I switch my ports to IDE compatibility mode (hopefully it will still boot) this problem will still be there.

Has anyone had this problem? Most forums recommend upgrading your drivers but this problem has stayed constant both with microsoft's stock drivers for everything and after running windows built in search for drivers and after I manually grabbed the latest drivers for everything. I noticed this on my P35 mobo as well... ahci didnt *really* affect the benchmarks but it did make the system as a whole more glitchy.

Can you post your system specs please ??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:47 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The motherboard should be all that's relevant but sure:

Intel E5750
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo
4 GB RAM - Corsair something or other
EVGA Geforce 8800 GT
450W psu
1 DVD burner (sata)
5 hard drives (sata) plugged into all but the first sata port because that caused nothing but headaches for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:50 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

urmumsacow wrote:
The motherboard should be all that's relevant but sure:

Intel E5750
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo
4 GB RAM - Corsair something or other
EVGA Geforce 8800 GT
450W psu
1 DVD burner (sata)
5 hard drives (sata) plugged into all but the first sata port because that caused nothing but headaches for me.

I think you meant that your proc. was an E6750, 4 MB L2, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB.
Further, I would not limit your thinking to just the MOBO, I mean you have a 2.66 GHz proc, windows 7 ultimate requites a 1 GHz proc, Plus you have 5 drives which may or may not be connected in the proper configuration which you freely admitted. Also there is a bios update for your board/proc Here, if that does not fix your problem I would consult your MOBO's manual and see that you have your build properly configured.

I hope this helps you.
-Cody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:47 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It is an E6750 proc.

Quote:
Further, I would not limit your thinking to just the MOBO, I mean you have a 2.66 GHz proc, windows 7 ultimate requites a 1 GHz proc

I don't know what you're trying to say here but Windows 7 does not require a nominal load of 35% at all times on the hardware im running.

Quote:
Plus you have 5 drives which may or may not be connected in the proper configuration which you freely admitted

I never said they were in the wrong configuration, i said the AHCI driver was clearly at fault here. On a separate note my motherboards bullshit "special 1-2 sata ports" have caused blue screen issues from day one. The technology is poorly implemented. I dont even use those ports for hard drives, just the first one for my optical.

My bios is up to date.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:57 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Update - switching from AHCI to IDE in BIOS fixed the problem. The problem now is figuring out how to fix it, I'd like to continue using AHCI if possible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

urmumsacow wrote:
Update - switching from AHCI to IDE in BIOS fixed the problem. The problem now is figuring out how to fix it, I'd like to continue using AHCI if possible.

Have you thought about trying a raid configuration ? Or maybe you could roll back the driver and see if that helps. You could also reinstall your AHCI driver here

I was not trying to say that your processor as a whole was at fault just giving you more options, I had not seen your edit with the diagnostics.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:32 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I have ruled out using onboard RAID as an option, it lacks the flexibility I need. It is not the end of the world if I cant use AHCI, but it seems like something that should just work.

I was just making sure on the processor thing. A lot of computer enthusiasts would say my setup is underpowered etc simply because of it's age.