Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Win 8 Beta version
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:07 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Ok guys/gals if you are like me I want a start button/orb and the classic interface like win7 has. I poked around a bit on the interwebs and was lead to this site:

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Download it and run it....presto! The old win 7 interface/desktop! It works perfectly! I may even buy a copy of win 8 if this still works on the Retail/OEM copies!

I have it running on my test machine in the cellar as we type.

I won't be buying the "upgrade version" because I want a clean install.....you know...nuke and pave.

Nasty

Post subject: Re: Win 8 Beta version
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:27 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Amen! All my Win8 prayers have been answered.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:44 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you load it?

This doesn't mean Microsoft will keep the code necessary to run this app. If they are smart they will...but I doubt it. :roll:

Nasty

PS. Here is another program to add the start orb/button and menus back:

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Question: does it intercept the windows key so it pops up the menu instead of the screen?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:17 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

LatiosXT,

It looks and feels just like win7, give it a try, you can always uninstall it. Make a restore point before you install it. I really like it.

The whole thing depends on whether or not Microsoft leaves the legacy code for the program to use in the final retail/OEM version.

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:36 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Nastyman wrote:
LatiosXT,

It looks and feels just like win7, give it a try, you can always uninstall it. Make a restore point before you install it. I really like it.

The whole thing depends on whether or not Microsoft leaves the legacy code for the program to use in the final retail/OEM version.

Nasty

You could've just answered my question, it was fairly straight forward :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:21 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

From what I've read, Win 8 is nothing but Win 7 with the Metro GUI tacked onto it. (June 2012 MPC, IIRC)
I tried ClassicShell on the Win 8 Consumer Preview and liked it so much, I added it to my new Win 7 Pro install.
Except for the little desktop symbol next to the clock, with ClassicShell and 7's my GUI looks just like the one I had for Win 95 and XP Home. :P Add ShellFolderFix ( http://www.sevenforums.com/customizatio ... -size.html ) and up to 9,999 of your Explorer windows will actually stay where you last left them with the same icons.
All the familiarity and consistency of XP with the improved robustness and stability of 7. To me, that's progress.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:47 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

OvenMaster ,

The code in windows 8 for the normal win 7/XP type interface may not be included in the final version of win 8, so the programs to change win 8 back to the old interface will not work as they depend on the old code to be there for it to work.

Microsoft is trying to dictate to you how you are going to run your computer in the future whether you like it or not. In my humble opinion they will shoot themselves in the foot trying to do that. Personally I don't want my pc to look like a phone, it is just so stupid, I have a mouse and keyboard not a touch surface on my pc. I don't see corporate America going to the Metro interface for office work, that just don't make any common sense either.

Next time you go to a restaurant, look at the touchscreen, do you really want to look through that smeared surface all day long? Not me....

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:13 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Nastyman wrote:
OvenMaster ,

The code in windows 8 for the normal win 7/XP type interface may not be included in the final version of win 8, so the programs to change win 8 back to the old interface will not work as they depend on the old code to be there for it to work.

Microsoft is trying to dictate to you how you are going to run your computer in the future whether you like it or not. In my humble opinion they will shoot themselves in the foot trying to do that. Personally I don't want my pc to look like a phone, it is just so stupid, I have a mouse and keyboard not a touch surface on my pc. I don't see corporate America going to the Metro interface for office work, that just don't make any common sense either.

Next time you go to a restaurant, look at the touchscreen, do you really want to look through that smeared surface all day long? Not me....

Nasty

Believe me, after just trying Win 8 CP for four days, I was totally turned off by Metro. I was glad I could get rid of it, but even with the "Desktop", I hated the fact there was no Start button and that basic settings were sprayed all over the place.

In one sadistic sense, I hope Microsoft goes ahead and forces Metro onto the public, even for desktop machines. I can just imagine my doctor trying to use Metro on his examination room laptop. Perhaps(?) a river of negative feedback will teach M$ an expensive lesson to listen to the people who actually USE their software to run computers for productive work every day.

But somehow I doubt it very much. Maybe I should buy stock in the company that makes Windex to keep all the touchscreens clean?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:33 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I coated my last phone with Ghost Armor. The only thing I really loved about it was that the darned thing never showed fingerprints, yet it kept the display crystal clear. And even if you accumulate enough smudges, you can just wipe it off.

Of course it cost $50 for the entire thing, $30 for the screen. So that's probably not a viable option.