Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Avast 6 vs AVG 2011 (Free Versions)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:22 am 

Avast6 was recently released to the public. How does it compare to AVG 2011? I currently have AVG and I've noticed that it causes significant lag on the interent when doing a good search, I think it's related to the safe link scanning features. Is Avast6 protection as good or better? I've read the performance footprint is lower, is this true? How well does the new sandboxing feature work in the free version? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Avast 6 vs AVG 2011 (Free Versions)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:33 am 
Willamette
Willamette

While no Anti-Virus application is perfect, and Avast has its own set of flaws, AVG in my opinion is no longer a good Anti-Virus solution; it was years ago, but things have changed. I have seen so many machines as of late that have been infected even with AVG that I now rank it just a tad higher than Norton AV. The computers I have seen with the most increased malware are in order: Mcafee, Norton, AVG, and Trend Micro.

There are a few programs that are actually doing a pretty good job. In order in my opinion: Virpre (by GFI), Avast, escan Anti-Virus 11, Bit-Defender 2011, and Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011

The rest of the applications out there either are resource hogs or do a terrible job of preventing malware or viruses.

Did you know there is actually a piece of maware out there called "AVG Antivirus 2011?" There were not shy about the name either, they named it exactly the same as the application.