Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hard Drive Not Found During XP Install
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:19 am 

I have a notebook computer that i am trying to install windows xp on. Every time i get to the part where i would normally delete the partitions, I get a message saying WINDOWS CAN NOT FIND ANY HARD DISKS.... I have tried making a custom version of x using nlite and including the SATA driver but this plan was a no-go with the same missing hard drive issue.
The funny thing in all this is that i installed a version of xp about a week ago on this same laptop and hard drive and can still run that version without a hiccup but now i need a to reinstall with another version/cd and i cant get do it because of the so to say "missing hard drive".

Im kind of out of ideas of where to turn so i turn to you guys :)
Please leme know if you have an solution to these problems.

Thanks,
Jack

Post subject: Re: Hard Drive Not Found During XP Install
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:27 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

Make/model of the notebook in question?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:53 am 

SuperChip64 wrote:
Make/model of the notebook in question?

GATEWAY M280E

I tried to install the hard drive in another laptop and maybe install windows on that computer and then transfer the hard drive back but i ran into the same problem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:38 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

I'm guessing that the first install that you did was with the Gateway recovery media? That'll find the HDD just fine.

(side note: you cannot transfer a Windows XP installation from one machine to another. Doing so will nearly always cause XP to immediately barf and bluescreen, due to the wildly different hardware.)

HDD show up in the BIOS? That's the first thing to check.

Slipstreaming SATA drivers into your XP disc is a little bit of a dark art. Done right, it JustWorks. Done wrong (even slightly), and the XP installer complains.
One thing you can do, if the lappy's BIOS will let you, is change the disc operating mode to IDE (may be listed as 'compatible.)
This will run the drive controller in IDE emulation mode, and let the XP installer 'see' the drive. But! Once you install Windows, you can't change it back to Native (SATA) mode.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:12 pm 

cup wrote:
I'm guessing that the first install that you did was with the Gateway recovery media? That'll find the HDD just fine.

(side note: you cannot transfer a Windows XP installation from one machine to another. Doing so will nearly always cause XP to immediately barf and bluescreen, due to the wildly different hardware.)

HDD show up in the BIOS? That's the first thing to check.

Slipstreaming SATA drivers into your XP disc is a little bit of a dark art. Done right, it JustWorks. Done wrong (even slightly), and the XP installer complains.
One thing you can do, if the lappy's BIOS will let you, is change the disc operating mode to IDE (may be listed as 'compatible.)
This will run the drive controller in IDE emulation mode, and let the XP installer 'see' the drive. But! Once you install Windows, you can't change it back to Native (SATA) mode.

Thanks for your reply.

>The original install when i bought the laptop must have been off the recovery disk. But since then i installed it with a version of xp sp3 that i got online. I am trying to switch to sp2 because i need a certain language option which isnt supported by sp3.

>I know about the hard drive swap and install being bad but i figured it would be better then nothing and would be worth the try.

>No the hard drive is not showing up in the bios but since it already has xp sp3 it boots up without a problem. (weird and makes absolutely no sense to me :( )

>I will have to try and slipstream the drivers again because i dont see any other resolution to this problem.

>The Bios doesnt have the option for ite /sata so i really dont know what to do. (and yes i tried to upgrade bios but that didnt help.)

Leme know if you guys think of any other resolutions.