Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: tabbed browser help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:26 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Hi guys,

On both Firefox / Chrome, when you click a link on a webpage (call it TAB#1), it automatically open a new tab (call it TAB#2).

Is there a way when TAB#2 is loaded, to automatically close TAB#1 ? So essentially, you'll always have just ONE tab open ?

This gets annoying when you click on a link on TAB#2, it'll open TAB#3 and the number of TABS just kept multiplying.. until your system runs out of resources.

Please help ! This is for my grandpa's. I always tell him to close previous tabs manually but its a piece of work for him.

Thanks guys !

Post subject: Re: tabbed browser help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:29 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Oh jeez, I think I follow. It's either simple or out of my range. We have "open links in new tab" in FF, but not so for following tabs. So if the original window had a link, you clicked it, it opened a tab, that new tab is really treated as a new window when it's active. So in my mind, the tab opened from the first window must be aware that it's a tab...or a second window.

This would be a great add-on for an enthusiast, so that's sparked me a bit. Grandpa's usage though is the actual problem here and I have to stop developing right now ;) So...turn off "new tabs in links". Then any links clicked "open in current window". It's minor education either way you look at it...and tabs are a bit tough to chew on. If you click something, you move away. If you want to go back, use the back button. FF is good with that, and I'm with ya on teaching tabs....it's just too much. So as a mediator, kill that nice tab function and show them the back button.

In teaching those around me in even basic functions of Windows and browsers; it really is just like an actual desktop. "how do I move this?" Well, you just grab it, and move it over. Tabs are hard to fit into that world (Damn Post-It Tabs) because tabs are stacking papers on a desk. It's all papers on a desk and tabs are...tabs. Start with a desk...a real desk. Put papers on them and show how it's the same thing, but easier.

I'm just thinking of teaching my parent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:24 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

oh thanks Boss :)

Actually I just stumbled upon a firefox addon called "Windows and Tabs Limiter 4.19". Then i set the maximum tab = 1 and it works like a charm ! :)

I just have to find similar addon for Chrome cuz everybody likes Chrome better for some reason

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:44 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I just have to find similar addon for Chrome cuz everybody likes Chrome better for some reason

Hey, if FF is working for you (more importantly, it's working for your Grandpa), then use FF and don't worry about Chrome. This isn't 'follow the herd.'

But I do understand your remark - the way people praise Chrome around here, you'd think they get paid by the comment! Personally, I prefer FF over Chrome. The new beta is pretty nice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:16 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

hi bt :)

yea he likes both FF and Chrome. As of me.. i seem to go back and forth between FF and Chrome as well !