Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wanting to build Vail WHS...what drivers should I use?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:40 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

So I'm prepping to build a WHS using Vail. I plan on using an older computer for the process. In case your wondering, here are the highlights:

Core 2 Duo 2.4 e6600
ASUS P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe mobo
2 GB RAM
3x1.5TB HDDs (RAID 5) - still need to acquire
nvidia 7900 GTX
I do have a DVD drive on the computer too

I've downloaded the .iso file (it says it is just over 4GB...does that sound right?). I also downloaded the software to convert a thumb drive into the "iso disc." Can I burn the iso to a disc, or do I need to use the thumbdrive? I ask because MPC's article makes it sound like a DVD is too small (but if the file is only 4GB...?)

My biggest question is: What version of drivers should I use for the hardware? Is Vail compatible with XP, Vista, or 7 drivers? I saw that it was 64bit, so I know to download the 64bit drivers, but I don't want to get knee deep in the setup only to find I have a hardware issue!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, if there is something wrong with my hardware, please let me know! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Wanting to build Vail WHS...what drivers should I use?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:21 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

While I can't help (any more than Google can) with creating your bootable USB stick (I have yet to have a need to install from a flash drive..) I can help with the driver question.

Vail is built off of Server 2008 R2. Ideally, those are the drivers that you want to shoot for.
That said, Server 2008 R2 is a kissing cousin to Windows 7 (they're the same codebase.) So, Win7 drivers should also work.
What Server ratings on the drivers get you is (theoretically) a better reliabilty & stabilty rating than you do with 'dekstop' drivers.

Being that you're running (or, will be running) it on an nVidia-based desktop board, you probably aren't going to find Server drivers for it. (This, BTW, is why I always recommend that someone install WHS on an Intel-based board. And, one with integrated graphics, too. Server-rated drivers are usually a non-issue in Intel land. ;) )