Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Clean Install - Best Way to Update Drivers?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:27 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm doing a clean XP install on an old Inspiron 5160 (Xp is the only available key I own)

I thought I saw an article not too long ago about some software that tracked your updates for you? I was at work when glanced at it and it was a "I'll have to check that out from home" and now x number of weeks later I have no idea where it might be burried at.

I did some searches but nothing looked familiar.

Anyone have anything? (even the Dell site itself doesn't have a 1 zip DL for all drivers so I'm left guessing a lot as to what to put in here)

Any help would be appreciated, this manual searching and updating bytes.

Cheers!
Logun

Post subject: Re: Clean Install - Best Way to Update Drivers?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:18 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I always had good luck by going to the Dell website and entering the Tag. Pretty simple process.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:12 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Except often times there's mulitple drivers for any particular device. For instance there might be 3 drivers for the modem and 4 drivers for the Ethernet. One might be for Broadcom hardware, the other might be Conxant, etc.
My experience is that knowing which one to choose is the challenge. The Service tag number does not always narrow these options down for you.

The short answer is, install windows, go into your device manager and look for the yellow "!", start by updating those. Usually it'll be USB, modem, audio, and maybe Ethernet.
I've found that when installing a driver for the wrong device (for instance, you d/l a Broadcom driver when really you have a Conexant) it'll give you a warning saying something to the affect of, "This driver is not for this device". That's when you know you need the other one.

Yeah PITA I know, but once they're installed I usually keep the drivers on hand so I don't have to go through the trouble again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:23 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ahh good to know thanks. Hopefully I can get some more time to work on it over the weekend but you've nailed my problem exactly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:55 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

My solution for a situation like this (and, one that I always utilize when I'm rebuildind a system for someone):
Whenever possible, run Belarc Advisor, and print (be it hardcopy, PDF, or XPS) the report beforehand. Obviously, if you PDF or XPS it, copy it to something removable.... ;)

Why do I do this? Among other things, it gives me a full hardware inventory. Takes all the guesswork out of the 'what drivers do I need?' game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:39 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have Software Information for Windows however I'm not entirely sure what to be looking for when it comes to determining which wireless driver I should be installing?