Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Driver update programs?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:08 am 

Hey all,

I'm wondering what the best way to go about updating all my drivers would be. Do you guys recommend any of the programs out there which automatically scan your hardware for missing or outdated drivers and update them automatically for you after purchase of program?

or is it better to just update your drivers individually on our own? and if this be the case, what's the best way to be sure we have everything updated and current?

Thanks in advance for any help and recommendations you may have.

Post subject: Re: Driver update programs?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:55 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I have tried a couple of programs for this purpose over the past three or four years and none of them seem particularly impressive. DriverAgent was the first one I tried back in 2007, and it seemed to be hit-and-miss as it would tell me it found an updated driver for a certain piece of hardware, but sometimes it would be accurate and work properly, or it would point me to an updated driver that would not install properly as it had misidentified that particular piece of hardware and its manufacturer. A little too "iffy" for my tastes. In 2009, I had just built a new computer with a 64-bit OS and the motherboard manufacturer had included a disk that did not have the 64-bit drivers for a "Co-Processor" and an "SMBus Controller" for the mobo and both devices were showing in the device manager with yellow question marks. When my first support ticket with XFX failed to yield a viable solution to this issue, I looked for and found a program called PC Updater, which not only identified the problem devices, but found the proper drivers for the devices as well. After ponying up the $29.99 fee for the program, and installing the drivers that it had found, I was satisfied for about a month. At that point, the program somehow got corrupted and would not function properly anymore, so I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the program and putting in the registration code (a series of three five-digit numbers that had been emailed to me by PC Updater's mother company after having purchased this seemingly wonderful program), but (unfortunately) it wanted an activation code (a series of four six-digit numbers---WTF???????!!!!!!) which had not been provided to me by the company at all. When I tried to email the PC Updater support team about this issue, I merely received an email instructing me to do the same damn thing I had already done and without supplying me a proper activation code to get their stupid software to work. Eleven months later, they tried to get me to renew my subscription to PC Updater for the ridiculous price of $49.99 plus tax. I called their phone number and told them that I did not wish to pay any more money for their now useless program and unresponsive technical support, and I was not billed nor automatically re-subscribed for this problematic program.
So I am not ever going to use another driver update program for any reason in the future. Instead, I will be updating my hardware drivers manually and encouraging others to do the same. As for a particularly good way to do this, I have no specific plan. Sorry!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:48 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I download all the drivers to a folder I create just under the C: drive by using an underscore before the name _ to make the folder stay on top, example _Tmp1. Then I tell Firefox to download to it.

I update my drivers by going to the motherboards site first and downloading the chipset driver, sound driver and nic driver. Then I go to the AMD site or the Nvidia site...depending on the video card I have at the moment and download the latest driver for that specific video card.

I start by shutting off the anti-virus then uninstall the chipset driver, say no to reboot, run the registry section of Ccleaner, then reboot and add the new driver after shutting off the anti-virus first. Reboot as prompted.

For the rest of the drivers shut off the anti-virus before you uninstall and install the drivers.

Next I uninstall the sound driver, run Ccleaner registry cleaner again, reboot and install the new sound driver. Reboot as prompted.

Next I uninstall the video driver, say no to reboot, delete the ATI or Nvidia folder and empty the recycle bin. Run Ccleaner registry cleaner. For good measure I also run Driver Cleaner Pro 1.50, setting it for either ATI or Nvidia and hit start in the program. When that is done I reboot and install the new driver.

The Nic I just uninstall and run Ccleaner registry cleaner and install the new drive right away.

It also help to check for the latest Direct X, as they update it periodically. Just install over the old version.

That is pretty much the way I replace old drivers, hope it helps you.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:37 pm 
Windows 7 Pro Outreach Team

Personally, I either rely on Windows Update or just whenever I get pop-ups from my devices. Microsoft has a pretty handy guide for driver updates that I've found helpful in the past: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... g-properly

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:42 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

w7pro wrote:
Personally, I either rely on Windows Update or just whenever I get pop-ups from my devices. Microsoft has a pretty handy guide for driver updates that I've found helpful in the past: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... g-properly

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

Sadly, most of the drivers are outdated. It's great if the current driver is buggy and this will find a driver that works. Mostly a last ditch effort for me as I take the time to find the most recent driver. You never know what fixes, features, optimizations the newest driver will have.