It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 7 backup settings - want an image of C: only
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:05 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

So you understand the situation, here is some information about my computer:

Windows 7 Pro
C: 120GB SSD (for OS, games and other often-used programs)
D: 1GB HDD (data files, downloads, lesser-used programs)
G: 1TB Backup HDD connected via an external SATA port

I've been using the backup and restore from Win7 and I like it for the most part. The main problem is that when I back up my computer, I want to backup my data and create an image of the C: drive (but not the D: drive); but the backup settings force me to image either both drives, or none.

Does anyone know of a way to select only the C: drive? Or is there a free backup program that you recommend? And please, let it be intuitive and easy to understand.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 backup settings - want an image of C: only
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:14 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Macrium Reflect free edition.

images any or all partition(s) on a drive to another partition or drive (internal or external), network location, or optical writer. just pick and choose what to image, where to put it, what files size to split at (if you want it split) and off it goes.

free for personal use, can be scheduled, and it preserves alignment (perfect for SSDs).

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 backup settings - want an image of C: only
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:16 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Macrium Reflect is great for what you want. I've had issues with other free versions, as well as paid-for versions, but Macrium has not failed.

I'll use Macrium on anything I'm told to "fix" and make two backups using it. I'll do a 1:1 just in case I hose up really bad and then just the area I'm working with. I have screwed up in this process and Macruim's recovery environment was point and shoot. It went right back to the normal state, I got a big reset, and I can't say that for the suites I paid for.

What I had issues with most back-up programs was that it wanted to back up a partition and make it's own. So say I wanted a 60G partition backed up to a 1TB drive...the others wanted to make the 1TB drive a 60G drive copy to be "exact". There were options to fix this when I researched, the GUI wasn't clear, but Reflect just made a simple ISO of the partition ON the other drive instead of trying to mimic it as well as offering copying (which is exactly like it sounds). Here again, Reflect took locked system files and copied them where paid programs failed to read and copy read only/locked files.