Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DE for Vail via 3rd party
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:06 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

A couple of things I came across that seem like they are looking to replace DE with.

http://www.drivebender.com/

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... 6f4e7914e0

Not sure if they will pan out, but thought it might be of interst.

Post subject: Re: DE for Vail via 3rd party
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:26 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

What storage management will look like in Windows Home Server 2011:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/02 ... y-storage/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:34 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I'm now on the Vail RC, DE is gone, but there's a wizard that does the same thing as DE. DE never cured the issue of a drive dieing and getting that data back; it was all about adding drives to the pool as you run out of space. So even though DE is gone, this new wizard still allows you to add a drive and move your stuff to it from the older small drive you're replacing.

To me, DE's exclusion still doesn't kill Vail. You just shouldn't build a server based on a mass of 80G drives laying around the house. A purpose built WHS2 should have large drives planned in the build, always think about drives dieing, and moving to future 6G drives (or whatever) is still there with the wizard. It's a server and an array should be part of the thought process IMO. With the WHS and a solid network, you can live without localized storage drives on individual PC's. So if it's all stored and backed up on the WHS, the focus should be on a redundant array vs DE pooling in the first place.

How do folks back up the back up (who's watching the watchers)? See my point? DE just sounds nice for Lego-block building and dishing in left over parts from other builds and not necessarily upgrading capacity. I'm just interested in how others use or expect from their servers I guess. I have to trust it fully and has to be the most stable and reliable of any of the builds...it holds all data and backups and drive extender never addressed that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:17 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Actually, DE did address that - aside from allowing a user to Lego a storage pool together (cool in and of itself), the Folder Duplication feature does (did?) take away the worry point of losing a drive.
Assuming that all shares are duplicated (which, by definition, puts a copy of each file on a different HDD), then all one need(ed) do is eject the dead drive via the Console, allow the WHS to process that, shut down, and install new drive.
Add new to drive, and give it a little while to re-duplicate the data.
Done!

That is the DE feature that I want (back.)