Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: VERY frustrating troubles with networked printing.....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:49 pm 

Hey all,

If I remember correctly I think I posted back here a while ago about difficulties with networked printing. I soon gave up on the problem and was too frustrated to do anything about it for a while. Until now, with a home consisting of 4 computers, I've stuck with printing on just one. My computers consist 99% of Windows XP Professional SP3 (family member computers), the other one computer (my personal system) has Win7 64-bit, which I will leave out of the issue because of driver compatibility problems. My problem is, I have one printer, a Dell Photo AIO 924, connected directly to a desktop with WinXP Pro SP3. I want to share that printer with my other XP Pro SP3 laptop and desktop, but I cannot. All of my computers are in the same workgroup, the Server service is enabled, and simple file sharing is disabled. All the computers I want to share the printer on have the exact same OS with all the same updates and software. However, I run my driver setup, type in my computer and printer name, and it says that it cannot connect to the printer. I've tried the Windows built-in connection with the same results. I have tried many potential solutions and still get the same error message that is really pissing me off (sorry for the language, but it really has been :D). I have run out of ideas, and simply put, I cannot connect to one shared printer while using the same software setup.

Thanks for the help :)!

-McDougal

UPDATE:
I have an error message whenever I try to access anything shared on any of my computers on my network, I get:

"Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password."
I get this error message on all my computers, on all OSes, no idea why :(

Post subject: Re: VERY frustrating troubles with networked printing.....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:03 pm 

Make sure that you have followed all the steps from the link below:
http://www.home-network-help.com/share-printer.html

Or you can spend some money to get a network print server for your printer.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory ... nt-Servers

If the printer-connected computer is password-protected and/or has a software firewall, try disabling both to see what happens.

And you can also try pinging the printer-connected computer with the other computers to see if they are able to communicate with each other.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5063917_ping-computer.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:12 pm 

Thanks for the reply :), I tried all of those steps in the link with still no luck, and I can't spend any money on software or hardware because of the holidays. However, I found out about disabling the need for user names and passwords through gpedit, I think I'll try that :)

-McDougal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:56 pm 

No problem. Just trying to give you some ideas.

Out of curiosity, I actually tried connecting my laptop (WinXP Home with SP3) to use with my two USB printers that were installed on my desktop (WinXP x64 with SP2). I initially had connection problems, too, as the laptop didn't detect either of my printers. I pinged the two machines, and everything was fine. I also disabled the software firewall on both machines, but still nothing showed up. I even tried installing NetBIOS protocol on both network adapters, just in case it might be needed.

After a lot of thinking, I finally decided to test the folder/file-sharing feature just to make that there were no issues with it. After confirming that everything was working, I went back into "Printers and Faxes" to see if the printers were being detected. To my big surprise, both were there staring at me. I would definitely suggest enabling "Use simple file sharing" for testing purposes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:55 am 

Thanks for the reply, I have successfully connected to my printer :)! All I had to do was disable the need for network user names and passwords in gpedit.msc on all computers. Just curious...what exactly is ping? I know about it, but I don't really know what it does....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:55 pm 

Glad to hear that you've resolved your printer issue.

According to Wikipedia, "ping operates by sending Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) echo request packets to the target host and waiting for an ICMP response. In the process it measures the time from transmission to reception (round-trip time)[1] and records any packet loss. The results of the test are printed in form of a statistical summary of the response packets received, including the minimum, maximum, and the mean round-trip times, and sometimes the standard deviation of the mean."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:49 am 

Good you got it working...
I was about to give a whole long explanation on how to connect your printer a completely different way. (without workgroups and the such...)
:) I have been doing it through static IP's and wow it is great. real reliable and easy once you understand it. And anyone should understand it if you know anything on how IP's work. Not much brain power required :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:49 pm 

Well I am curious about the IP technique if you're willing to explain :D....not saying I'll switch to that technique, but I'm always willing to learn a more reliable way :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:51 pm 

1) connect the printer to the computer that will always be on or atleast will be on when wanting to print from the other printers. (We will refer to this computer as Comp. 1)

2) Install printer drivers on Comp. 1 and make sure all is working well (ie: pages print)

3) Lets set a static IP for comp 1 so that it will always be the same.

3A) Goto Control Panel- Network Connections- Right click on Local area connection (or whatever connection you use)- Click Status- Click Details.
Now Read what it says under Ipv4 Default Gateway. (Mine says 192.168.1.1 so that is the number we will work with).

3B) Goto Control Panel- Network Connections- Right click on Local area connection (or whatever connection you use)-and click properties- Double click on Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv)- Now fill in the correct info. (Since where using my network as listed in 3A i will fill in my numbers BUT make sure you are using the correct numbers that your network uses.).

3C) Just alittle background on what your about to fill in
IP Address: This is the specific address to each computer on the network (The last number will be different for every device)
Subnet Mask: Its the same for all networks 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: This is the number we got in 3A So whatever number it was then gets entered in here as well.

The Following is how i filled mine in for comp 1:
IP Address: 192.168.1.2 <---- Every computer will get a different last number i decided to start with 2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

4) Goto the rest of the computers on the network and fill in what you did in 3C WITH THE CHANGE IN EACH SYSTEM BEING THE IP ADDRESS: the next computer would be 192.168.1.3 and the next 192.168.1.4 etc.

5) Now Share files on folders on comp. 1 and make sure you can access them from other computers. ( In order to check that you can access them on another comp goto comp 2 (make sure its connected to the same network) Open Run type in \\192.168.1.2 If a box comes up containing the shared files and folders (may take a minute or 2) then you are good. If you are getting an error message you are doing something wrong.
5A) NOTE: On windows 7 computers you can click start --> Devices and Printers --> And then up top you will see a button called "Add A Printer". From there on it should be pretty self explanatory. Once this step is completed i believe you can skip all the following steps and you should be set.

6) I take it that you are now able to see the shared files and folders from comp 1 on comp 2. From here go to comp 1. Open Devices and printers. Right click on the printer you want to share and click "Share Printer" (If you do not see this there (depends what windows you are running) you may have to click on Printer Properties and configure the share tab.

7) Once your printer is shared you should be able to goto comp 2 (or any other computer that you configured) access the shared files and folders by opening Run and typing in \\192.168.1.2 like we did in step 5. You should now see your printer in there. Right click on it and hit connect or something of the sort (sorry dont have that printer available to me to check the exact wording).

8) Once that is successful Open devices and Printers and right click on the networked printer and set as default.

YOU SHOULD NOW BE UP AND RUNNING

Please Note: Some times you may have to restart all computers after reconfiguring the IP Addresses just to make sure that no 2 systems have the same IP Address (and that goes without saying that NO 2 computers can have the same 2 IP Addresses.)

I hope all this was clear enough and i was able to help someone out there. Please let me know of your success stories.
Cheers and Happy Holidays :mrgreen: :lol:

Last edited by movi3king on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:09 pm 

Thanks for the tutorial :)! I will definitely try this out tomorrow....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:56 pm 

McDougal wrote:
Thanks for the tutorial :)! I will definitely try this out tomorrow....

Hi did you ever get a chance to try my method?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:20 pm 

No, sorry, parents didn't want me to try it out when they needed the printer, and the current solution is working, maybe i'll ask them again....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:03 pm 

McDougal wrote:
No, sorry, parents didn't want me to try it out when they needed the printer, and the current solution is working, maybe i'll ask them again....

"Hey, If it aint broke dont fix it"!
;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:32 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

If you do try this I'd highly recommend using "mac filtering" on teh router (or more correctly, your DHCP server which in this case is a router) to assign an IP to a specific PC instead of manually setting a static IP on each machine. For one, we don't know if you've got a laptop amongst those 4 pc's and setting a static IP in a laptop is really not a good idea. Works great till you carry it out of the house and try and connect elsewhere. There are other reasons to avoid setting a manual IP on a pc these days. MAC filtering basically matches the MAC address on the PC to a list you've set up and if it's on the list it gives it the IP you've designated for that PC.

Nothing wrong with the concept of having a specific IP on a specific computer. If you need it. So I'd also not bother with it unless you need it for a specific reason or would like to learn more about IP addresses.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:54 am 

bogara007 wrote:
If you do try this I'd highly recommend using "mac filtering" on teh router (or more correctly, your DHCP server which in this case is a router) to assign an IP to a specific PC instead of manually setting a static IP on each machine. For one, we don't know if you've got a laptop amongst those 4 pc's and setting a static IP in a laptop is really not a good idea. Works great till you carry it out of the house and try and connect elsewhere. There are other reasons to avoid setting a manual IP on a pc these days. MAC filtering basically matches the MAC address on the PC to a list you've set up and if it's on the list it gives it the IP you've designated for that PC.

Nothing wrong with the concept of having a specific IP on a specific computer. If you need it. So I'd also not bother with it unless you need it for a specific reason or would like to learn more about IP addresses.

Can you explain your method in more detail?

I know there has to be a better way out there rather then setting static IP's for the one main reason that you said, "Works great till you carry it out of the house and try and connect elsewhere."

Thanks,
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:58 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I had this same problem with a network printer being shared between XP and Win7.

I eventually had to set the account name and password the same thing on all computers to get it to work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:16 pm 

Okay....I know this thread is old, but I'd like to try this IP Address thing, and am having a couple of problems.

I upgraded all of the computers to Windows 7 Professional, and everything is working great. With a fresh install on all of the computers, I thought about finally trying the IP technique of sharing printers. I followed the directions and set all the correct info, except when I apply it nothing will connect. Comp1's IP address is 192.168.1.9, while my laptop's IP address is 192.168.1.4. Whenever I apply the settings on any of the computers, I lose my internet connection.

Is there a fix for this?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:21 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Long thread. Join the network. Share the printer. Done.

XP, Vista, Win7...I don't see the issue. 'eff IP addresses. If the printer is on a USB port on one of the physical PC's, it's able to be shared. Stop making it hard! Share it...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:45 pm 

McDougal wrote:
Okay....I know this thread is old, but I'd like to try this IP Address thing, and am having a couple of problems.

I upgraded all of the computers to Windows 7 Professional, and everything is working great. With a fresh install on all of the computers, I thought about finally trying the IP technique of sharing printers. I followed the directions and set all the correct info, except when I apply it nothing will connect. Comp1's IP address is 192.168.1.9, while my laptop's IP address is 192.168.1.4. Whenever I apply the settings on any of the computers, I lose my internet connection.

Is there a fix for this?

Ok so from what i understand you are trying to connect a reg printer that does not have wireless capabilities.

Before you changed any Static Ip settings what was your ORIGINAL ip address/ subnet mask/ default gateway? In order to cehck this you have to change all the settings back to default.

And what did you change it to. (ip address/ subnet mask/ default gateway)

We will work on one comp at a time first getting your internet back running and from there it should be very simple.