Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Disk image software
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:45 pm 

I am getting a new SSD drive for my boot drive and 1 for my games drive. I as wondering if there are any good Disk image programs out there (free would be nice). I want to make a direct copy of the C:\ i have now on to the SSD so all the windows files and stuff are the same and i dont need to reinstall all that crap 8) . I know Acronis is a good one. just not sure which to get, i am guessing the "Acronis® True Image Home 2011" is what i want? I'm not real sure cause i have never done this before. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any idea what the Free trial will NOT let you do? or will let you do for Acronis.

(edited)Thanks for the Ideas guys. i guess i should of said its an XP partion. and I really dont understand the 4k part you are talking about. but will look it up. thanks again

Last edited by Robberbaron on Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Disk image software
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:43 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Here is some reading for you to do and free programs to download for imaging your hard drive:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... rogram.htm

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:32 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

macrium reflect free edition will preserve 4k alignment (if the original partition was 4k aligned, but a win7 clean install will have done that by default) so you can clone your OS partition to your SSD properly. they have a pay version also.

acronis 2011 will honor alignment also but its not free.

other imaging programs may not honor 4k alignment so you may have to manually align afterward.

EDIT: if you clone an existing win7 install to a SSD, there are a couple tweaks you will need to do. the main one is turn off defrag for the SSD. others are personal preference, but some will extend the life of the SSD slightly. not enough to really worry about though IMO.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:35 pm 

i haven't tried Acronis yet, this is my favorite image software, hope you like it as well. it has detailed image processing guidance.