Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 7 page file on SSD
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:56 pm 

Hello all, I know (or have read) that one should not defrag a SSD to avoid unnecessary wear on those cute little chips contained therein. My question is it a good idea to move the default paging file location off the SSD to another disk? I currently have Win 7 ultimate running on an A-Data 128g SSD and I also have a conventional HD for data storage. Is it a good idea to move the swap file over to the conventional HD or fix the size of the swap file on the C drive or, or, or.....?
BTW this SSD is f_in' fast...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:45 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I wouldn't see why that wouldn't be a problem...Most of the articles I've seen on this say to move it off the page file to, obviously have a bump in performance of the SSD, but it seems sort of counter-productive to place that file on a regular HD.

Personally, if I was doing this, I'd certainly limit the size of my page file to a fixed size. If you have enough ram, perhaps setting up a ram drive would be the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:01 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I've moved my swap file off the SSD and onto a high speed Samsung F3 1TB drive.

I didn't see a single point lost in benchmarking the drive and my experince in Win7 Ultimate hasn't changed. I do have 6GB of RAM, so the swap file was pretty small. But still, I just put it on a mechanical HDD and sized it to 2048 and have had great performance.

Even with 6GB, Win7 still uses some of the swap file and that's un-needed write cycles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:18 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You're right. I got thinking about what I said after I said what I did and now I'm wondering..cripes, exactly how much more/less performance are we talking about here because it can't be much in either case.

Post subject: Windows 7 page file on SSD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:33 am 

I tend to agree that it probably would be a good idea to move the page file off the SSD and onto a conventional rotating platter HD that I use for mass storage. I am running an Asus P5Q board with 8gb of GSkill ram with an E8500 Core 2 Duo proc. (I am waiting for those Core2 Quads to come down some more in price..) and I can't imagine that I am using the page file that much anyway.
My Windows experience index is 6.9 for hard drives right now (6.6 overall) and I'll see if it changes when I move the page file off the SSD.
Just trying to minimize writing and deleting files from the SSD. Thanks, Jim

P5Q with Intel E8500 @ 3.16 Ghz, Win7x64 ultimate, 8gb ram, ADATA S596-128 Gb SSD boot drive, 500 Gb WD for storage, ATI 4850 graphics into a Samsung Syncmaster 2343BWX @ 2048x1152 and PC Power&Cooling TurboCool 510 power. Whole deal runs sweet and trouble free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:56 am 

In order to further reduce writes and deletions to my precious SSD I am thinking what other measures can I take to minimize necessary file writing and deleting? I've moved the swap file off the SSD with no apparent performance hit and I normally delete cookies - flash and regular on a periodic basis and also run disk cleanup regularly but these little irritating files always keep growing back with use. Temp files, log files, etc. there's all sorts of stuff that I used to clear off my old conventional drives before running defrag.
Now, however, it's not a good idea to run defrag and if one can prevent necessary file writing and deletion on an SSD supposedly the SSD lasts longer and works better. Is there any way to get as many of these little "duff" files written to another drive?