Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need some help with driver updates
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:15 am 

Hey everyone! :)

I just recently installed windows 7 ultimate, which is an upgrade from windows XP professional. And naturally, I had to get all the new drivers for 64 bit windows. Most of that is done. However, I still need some clarification on a few things concerning drivers. I used the Driver Detective application to detect which drivers need updating, and found that my sound needs driver updates (it's integrated on my motherboard, so I don't actually have or need an actual sound card). Also, it would appear that the "NVIDIA nForce system management" could also use a driver update as well, according to Driver Detective. So I wanted to ask 2 things.

Firstly, I would like to know what exactly the "NVIDIA nForce system management" does, and what it is exactly, and how important is it to upgrade these drivers.

Secondly (and this concerns the sound driver update), I had the newest version of sound drivers from Realtek Semiconducor Corp., but of course it's not compatible with Win 7, so I wanted to ask where I could download the latest drivers for my sound card, which is integrated on my motherboard. My motherboard model is K10N750SLI-WiFi, if that means anything. I found some drivers on DELL's official site, but the driver information mentioned that it was compatible with notebooks, but it said nothing about windows 7 or PCs, and I'm not sure about those.

I'm not a computer wiz, so I came here hoping for help and clarification, so hopefully I get some :) If you need any additional information, feel free to ask, I'll provide the info you need ASAP.

Thanks for reading guys and girls!

Post subject: Re: Need some help with driver updates
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:53 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Here is your motherboard driver page. I think you are out of luck for win 7 drivers, only Vista drivers are being issued. Sometimes they work with win 7 and sometimes they don't.

Be sure to make a restore point BEFORE changing any drivers.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/K10N750 ... d&os=Vista

Get the chipset driver here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Here is the realtek driver, follow the direction to install.

http://drivers.downloadatoz.com/vendor_ ... ows-7.html

I have no clue what NVIDIA nForce system management does.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:49 pm 

Thanks very much! :) I'll take a look at those links later, right now I gotta get to sleep 'cause I'm dead tired xD

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:37 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Post back and let us know success or failure.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:12 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Make sure BIOS is already up to date as noted 1.10 was required for 64-bit OS support and frankly 1.20 contains an important AHCI update before OS clean install. Hopefully already installed, but 1.20 contains 1.10 so only 1.20 need be applied if update necessary:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/K10N750 ... ad&os=BIOS

As Nasty indicated the old Vista 64 bit drivers from the ASRock site will likely work with Win7. nVidia nForce System Management is part of the chipset driver package. If you want to get the latest/last driver available or are forced to hunt for a driver for any chip you will need to become a driver detective (see below):

MB chipset drivers (nForce 750a SLI):
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 0589/en-us

nForce Driver Version 15.57

Version: 15.57 WHQL
Release Date: 2011.5.2
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 65.00 MB
-------------------
Realtek HD Audio driver (ALC890):
http://filehippo.com/download_realtek_h ... o_vista_64

64bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows 8.1 Driver only (Executable file) R2.75 2014/5/21 122738k

[Note ALC890 not specifically listed, but ALC888, 889 and 892 are so likely this will work as they are usually very modest variations in between numbers.]
-----------------
Realtek LAN driver (RTL8211B):
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... wn=false#1

Win7 and Server 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1669850) 7.088 2014/7/25 6011k

May not work.
-----------------
Check Device Manager for yellow/red flagged items still without drivers. Note Win7 is pretty good at identifying and selecting drivers from its extensive built in driver library. And when you re-connect to the Internet AFTER a successful clean install it will search for any drivers it could not find (not so successful or accurate I'm afraid).

The last chance and it is a very good one is to ID the yellow/red flagged chip the driver is needed for through its maker and part ID using the Hardware ID tag and scour the net for any PC maker who has the compatible driver for the chip on file. Remember the driver is specific for the chip not the MB so identical (or near identical compatible) chips are found used on many PC parts and their drivers are identical to the one's on the ASRock site (only maybe newer revisions). Pretty easy to do and if a 64-bit Win7 driver is not listed try a 64bit Vista driver (usually work). Worse comes to worse you can try a 64-bit XP driver if available but those rarely work due to some changes between 64bit XP and Vista.

No yellow/red flags in Device Manager?

No Problem Devices listed in System Information under the Component tab?

Driver Detective (works for peripherals too):

http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?t=1308

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089404/ ... ndows.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:56 am 

Fascistnation: I installed the realtek drivers you recommended, and the driver detective program now says that sound drivers are up to date. So, as far as my sound drivers are concerned, thanks a lot - the problem is solved :)

Now, as far as my motherboard goes, I would like to point out that I *do*, in fact, have the very drivers you linked installed on my computer. I have actually downloaded the 15.57 WHQL and also the 15.56 WHQL drivers from Nvidia's official site, and have tried installing them both. Both are good, but Driver Detective still says that the NVIDIA Nforce Sytem Management drivers are out of date regardless of which version I install. Just to clarify one thing - my computer works perfectly, and I have no trouble running games and the like. No trouble with the drivers so far, so it could be that driver detective is a bit full of it.

I'm just wondering what the NVIDIA Nforce Sytem Management actually *is*, so that I know how important those drivers are. Also, don't confuse "NVIDIA Nforce Sytem Management" with "NVIDIA Nforce Sytem Management controller". The controller is up to date, but the first one is not.

Also, one more thing to note is that, when I use the device manager to find appropriate drivers on the web to update, the device manager says that my NVIDIA Nforce Sytem Management drivers are up to date, and that I have the best driver version already installed. Driver Detective, however, is telling a different story. Just to point that out.

I also used the link you gave me (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375684,00.asp) to find problem devices on my computer. No problem devices were found.

The rest is settled, thanks :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:31 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Driver Detective is you, not an app, at least not one I recommended, linked to or told you to install, let survey you system, etc. You need to become a driver detective in tracking down old chips for new OS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:40 am 

FascistNation wrote:
Driver Detective is you, not an app, at least not one I recommended, linked to or told you to install, let survey you system, etc. You need to become a driver detective in tracking down old chips for new OS.

Lol, I know that :) I was just mentioning it, that's all. But yeah, it does seem to me like DD is an app I should remove from my computer.

By the way. which app would you recmmend for scanning drivers and such, if any?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:57 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I recommend no app. You should do this yourself IMHO.

But Maximum PC recommended Slimdrivers-Free in its May(?) 2013 issue. Though they were looking at a new PC with Win8. Win7 is much more mature and so is older equipment so keeping drivers up to date is less of a security/stability issue as the bugs and complaints have been worked out. I have not played with this app yet, so have no opinion.

Most responders on this board would likely say, 'If it ain't broke don't fix it.' Excellent advice for any user not interested or tech savvy enough to maintain their own system(s). I generally disagree if the user is experience enough/confident enough to recognize a problem and reverse it. In that case keeping BIOS, firmware and drivers up to date is as important as keeping apps and OS up to date. Such things are best done one at a time so you know what caused a subsequent issue. Hence one reason for my dislike for auto-updaters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:08 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'm on the side of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" simply because if you've been using the same drivers for a while and they haven't been causing issues, then updating it may cause issues. The only exception I give is to video card drivers in general (as performance optimizations are done) or a driver update fixes a severe bug.

The BIOS however I recommend not updating unless there's an issue with hardware compatibility. For example, I updated my last build's BIOS to an UEFI one which was the latest version. When I sold it off, the person who wanted it bought a Radeon R7 270. It wouldn't boot and I tried the old card that was in it (GTX 670) and it was fine. After the person exchanged the Radeon for a GeForce GTX 750, it still wouldn't boot.

Turns out the UEFI BIOS was doing it. I had to roll back a version before it worked.

I don't like touching system level software unless there's a game breaking bug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:52 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

LatiosXT wrote:
....The BIOS however I recommend not updating unless there's an issue with hardware compatibility. ...

Maximum PC also recommended keeping the BIOS up to date in the same article I mentioned.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:54 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Was the reason "to keep up with features"? Are those things you really care about? Going back to my example, what if I was posted here with something like this:
Quote:
My computer doesn't seem to boot. I tried putting in a Radeon R7 270, made sure all the plugs were in, wouldn't boot. Figuring it was probably a DOA card, I exchanged it for a GeForce 750 Ti (I have more luck with NVIDIA cards). Still wouldn't boot. Put in a GeForce GTX 460 I have lying around and it did boot. Reset BIOS settings and everything. I have the latest BIOS as well. Specs as follows:

• PSU: Seasonic 850W PSU
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-2500
  • Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
  • RAM: 4GBx2 Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600

How would you respond to that? I figure we're going to run around the mulberry bush on the "usual suspects" before giving up and saying either I got another DOA card or I somehow can't use newer ones (which you know, a BIOS update should've fixed)

On my current system, if I were to update the BIOS, all I'd get would be:
    1. Support New 4th Generation Intel Core Processors.
    2. Add "USB Compatibility Patch" setup option in BIOS.

1. Update InstantFlash Module.
    2. Support i7-4790K, i5-4690K and IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® G3258 EZ OC.
    3. Adjust "Intel(R) Smart Connect Technology" setting.
Which I don't see a need for either of those. I'm not going to drop a Haswell refresh in it or a Broadwell (assuming it has a desktop SKU), and whoever I give the computer to probably won't be savvy enough or care enough to upgrade the CPU.

And the system runs fine. So I see no reason to update something that isn't broken and updating it could possibly break things. And you have to go a long ways out of your way to roll back a BIOS version. In order to save the computer I had, it involved overwriting both the BIOS in use and the back up (the backup had the version in use and this was done to ensure the motherboard wouldn't overwrite the older version with the backed up version). Meaning if this operation failed, the motherboard would be bricked.

Also sorry for hijacking the thread OP, I'm just trying to make a case.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:47 am 

LatiosXT: Yeah, no problem, do your thing :)