Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 256 video cards
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:35 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Is it even possible to get your hands on a notebook w/ a 256mb video card that isn't 12 pounds and 2 inches thick? Am I asking too much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:52 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Probably not, the problem appears to be that the skinny laptops don't have the cooling capabilities of their larger counterparts. Also the resellers try to price them lower then the larger ones so they won't put the latest and greatest into them either in order to save money and widen the profit margin a bit.

Personally I dig notebooks that have as much shit built into them as possible.

((This post was written on a 3 1/2 year old 12.8 lb monster desktop replacement laptop))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:50 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Aaaawesome. I'm thinking about school and gaming though. Something I can tug around w/o a hand cart but still play Halflife 2 and many games to come with everything crankin'! (now THAT is probably asking too much :wink:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:03 pm 

I'll tell you from experience that having as many things built into this thing makes it extremely useful.

As for consuming electricity at a breakneck pace, 99% of the time I find an A/C outlet to run it off. I've rarely ever run mine off the battery.

The weight really isn't an issue either. Once you've gotten used to it after a month or two you don't really notice it anymore. I carry mine to work with me 5 days a week and drag it up several flights of stairs and the weight never bothered me at all.

I'd love to get one of those new Clevo D9T models once the Pentium 4 600 series comes out but them temptation to play UT2K4 at work would be overwhelming.

Here's what I'm running now (the second one down):

http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=877#877

Here's what I'd like to replace it with:

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainp ... model=9096

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:30 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Funny you brought that notebook up, because that is one that I’ve actually been considering. One problem I see with that one though. It doesn’t specify that it is a Pentium with HT technology. Now I know you're against Alienware claiming that they charge for the name... but unless im overlooking something, i just configured about he same computer with prostar overcharging $295. Both 3.2 Ghz, both 1024mb 2 dim., Windows XP Pro, 60GB @ 7200 RPM x2 (however its RAID 0 on the Area 51m, doesn’t say anything on pro-star). Am i missing something?

**Edit**
PSH. How could i miss it. It states very clearly on the 2nd site that you linked that it is HT. But does that mean the change is in the video card? ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X800 --> NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Go? Could it be a different display? Both 17" 1680 x 1050 WSXGA+. Maybe i configured wrong or somthing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:32 pm 

Bahama.Llama wrote:
Funny you brought that notebook up, because that is one that I’ve actually been considering. One problem I see with that one though. It doesn’t specify that it is a Pentium with HT technology.

All Pentium 4 Prescotts have Hyperthreading with the exception of the budget model Prescott that runs at 2.8Ghz with the 533Mhz bus which does not have hyperthreading.

Bahama.Llama wrote:
Now I know you're against Alienware claiming that they charge for the name... but unless im overlooking something, i just configured about he same computer with prostar overcharging $295. Both 3.2 Ghz, both 1024mb 2 dim., Windows XP Pro, 60GB @ 7200 RPM x2 (however its RAID 0 on the Area 51m, doesn’t say anything on pro-star). Am i missing something?

I just configured three systems on three different resellers and they're all about what I expected. You're probably overlooking something in the configuration.

Here's what I got for a 3.6Ghz Clevo D9T:

Sagernotebooks = $3555 (/w Radeon x800)
Pro-Star = $3550 (/w Radeon x800)
Alienware = $3580 (/w GeForce 6800 Go)

I was actually surprised that the Alienware price wasn't $200 higher, I suppose they'd trying to become a bit more competitive now that we know who's laptops they're reselling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:26 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

yeah... im not buying till about May, so i wont be buying anything thats on the market right now for notebooks. I'm just trying to educate myself before i make a 3000 buck decision. Any pointers for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:06 pm 

Quote:
Any pointers for me?

Buy an additional A/C adapter, it's extremely convenient having one hooked up at home and the other in the laptop case.

Keep a mouse in the laptop bag too, touchpads and joystick thingys are the most annoying things ever.

Whenever possible, ALWAYS plug the laptop into an A/C outlet.

Don't touch the LCD display ,and bite people's fingers when they attempt to touch your screen.

If the laptop starts shutting itself down on it's own, the heatsink is probably clogged up with dust, pet fur, hairs, etc and needs to be cleaned out. Learn how to do this on your own and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches.