Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Intel Atom Z520
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:31 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Anyone have a netbook/notebook with the dual core Intel atom z520 in it? How does it perform on video playback from hulu at both low and high quality? Is hulu desktop any better than hulu in the web browser?

I'm thinking about getting the new ASUS Eee PC 1101HA. Bigger screen, dual core, 11hrs batter life (only about 9 w/ practical use Though), decent keyboard, wireless N, bluetooth (for a wireless mouse), lightweight (compared to a notebook). Anyone see any glaring problems/issues with this netbook?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220579

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:52 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I have an Acer AspireOne with the Atom n270 and an Intel GMA950, and it's been fantastic! playback of highdef video is a tad choppy in Windows 7, but in Ubuntu its fine. As for power on my weaker processor, its been fantastic! a little slow at times, but much faster than most of the computers i have to deal with on a daily basis. Its even good enough to do all of Ubuntus fancy visual effects!

I had a peek at your link, and read all of the reviews, and i really like that machine. its a great price, its going to be a good machine, and it'll be nicely powerful. im just wondering if ASUS has fixed the keyboard issue with the Shift and arrow keys... everyone i know with a 7-9inch EEEpc hates the keyboard, and i pretty much got the acer over an eee because it has a proper keyboard.

Then again, its only 1.3ghz.. the N270 is a 1.6. im tihnking that at single core apps it might not be the best. If i were you, i'd look for an nvidia based ion machine.

so, theres my ramblings, let me know you need anything else from me..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:22 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I did some reading around and supposodly Asus has an overclocking feature that lets you clock the chip up to 1.73 ghz, as long as you don't upgrade the ram to 2 gb (no workaround yet).

Also, it has a different, newer chipset that uses less power, but actually supports offloading media decoding from the CPU I think. Only 1 problem...craptastic drivers, but they should only improve with time...

Other reviews I read stated that the right shift key is now in the correct spot, just a little too small now. Supposedly the keyboard is very firm, very good. It also appears that there are full size arrow keys. Big plus for me.

I also like the idea of a multi touch trackpad.

As for ION, I've been waiting forever to buy one, but at this point, I really don't see a reason too, if I can get this computer. All I really care about is web browsing, MS Word, and Hulu. A multi-core Atom should handle that just fine, along with some very casual gaming (think unreal tournament game of the year edition from like 1999-my ATI Rage 128 pro used to play that game just fine). The only ION netbooks i've seen previewed have had the N270/N280 processors. They have also been $500+ or so.

Thanks for the response!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:41 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

sounds good to me! and UT GOTY should run just fine on a netbook. man, i completely forgot about that game... i've been looking for good games i can play on my netbook... what a fantastic idea! Thanks!

Overclocking a netbook? let me know how that goes!

Oh, and World of Goo and Crayon Physics Deluxe are aweosme games for a netbook! easy to run, 2d graphics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:48 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

CS 1.6 should also run pretty well, as well as the origional half life. (at least it's playable on the pentium 3/rage 128 pro). Roller Coaster Tycoon, and The Sims should play ok too (maybe not the lastest releases of those games, but the older ones for sure.) Don't forget about peggle either. Sim City should run ok, and starcraft should run just fine too. GTA Vice City may be kind of iffy, but i bet it will run if you turn settings down a bit. Also, start wars battlefront may run ok too, as well as some of the older need for speed games.

I'll definetly give World of Goo and Crayon Physics a shot too.

Biggest problem with older games like that is that few of them support widescreen resolutions. Have to go in and edit config files...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:14 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

s'long as they can do 800x600, im set! the problem with my screen on my laptop 9i dont know about any other netbooks) my res is a wacky one, its 1024x600, which isn't true 16/9 widescreen.... oh well! im defiantly going to look into those games!! Also, keep an eye on GameSpot.com's new releases page

http://tinyurl.com/6y9qw4

thats where i found crayon physics! its surprisingly fun!