Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laptop video tech ?????
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:25 pm 

Alright, now that im reformating and ive fixed the bugs, I have a few questions ive been wondering about. I have a Dell Inspiron 5100, 2.4 Ghz, 512 Mb SDDRAM, Radeon 7500 16MB Card.

I want to upgrade my video card to run Half life 2 better, and Doom3 runs like a slide show. I was told that upgrades can only come from dell. But on Dells site, the dont sell video card upgrades. Can anyone tell we where i can get a card for this rig.

Also, now I have the directx7 card, but im running Directx9c. Would i be getting better performance from dirextx7????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:52 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

I'm betting that there is no video card upgrade for your particular Inspiron model laptop. Back in the Radeon 7000/7500 Mobility days modular graphics boards were only found in proprietary systems and usually extremely expensive.

So as for the graphics upgrade, I'd say you're SOL

Also, you would not get any better performance running DirectX 7 just because you only have a DirectX 7 video card. My guess is that your performance would actually get worse, and if you're running WindowsXP, I highly doubt it'll even let you install DirectX 7 because it ships with DirectX 8.x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:54 pm 

According to this page it does not look like you have an upgradable video card:

http://www.bay-wolf.com/videoupgrade.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:20 pm 

Thats sucks. I'll just have to build that gaming computer sooner than i thought. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:23 pm 

No worries

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:56 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Now, Dell pretty much locks all the BIOS functions and options so maybe Flytrap could help me out. RYNO and I both have about the same computer. 512 is a good amount of RAM too, so could we increase the amount of video ram using system ram? My card has 32MB of ddr. My system has 512MB of ddr. Maybe I could allocate some of that ram for the video.

Also RYNO, how does HL2 play on your system? I have not tryed it yet because I didn't think my card was worthy. Maybe I can go pick up a copy.

PS> I updated my drivers after I reformatted and my performance increased, mainly in Rome TW. Check the dell website and go to downloads. Enter your system model and such. It should give you a couple new drivers. Install both of them. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:18 pm 

Stick wrote:
Now, Dell pretty much locks all the BIOS functions and options so maybe Flytrap could help me out. RYNO and I both have about the same computer. 512 is a good amount of RAM too, so could we increase the amount of video ram using system ram? My card has 32MB of ddr. My system has 512MB of ddr. Maybe I could allocate some of that ram for the video.

I highly doubt it.

From the sound of it both your laptops have dedicated amounts of 32MB for the video card. That's soldered onto the board and won't ever change. Also because it's dedicated and not a shared memory architechture, you can't add more system memory to your video card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:25 am 

Well, Stick, actually my board says it only has 16MB in its properties. i believe it has to be a 32mb though. Its funny because when i first ran HL2, all the characters in the game were black blobs......so i updated my drivers from dell......and that fixed the problem, but none of the game characters had eyes., everybody just had white eyes. so i downloaded the newest Catalyst drivers (i believe 4.12 or maybe 4.10 ) and i found a Mod that adapted the drivers to run on my board. Now, the graphics are awesome, but without antialiasing, Water reflection, and its set on the lowest resolution, with the lowest detail. in spite of all of that, its still the best game ive ever played. takes a little while to load, but its worth it. id reccomend picking up a copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:12 am 
Team Member
Team Member

One thing i read about when upgrading your video cards was the cooling issues that come with it. Unless you custom make some kinda of heat sink out of copper, your laptop will be constantly be shutting down during big loads (3D games would probably do it). This however has just been what I’ve been reading. I don’t' have any experience in OC or upgrading video cards in notebooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:36 pm 

It's not an issue if you buy the video upgrade from your laptop reseller. They have to engineer it to fit properly and work correctly in your system, otherwise they'd face all kinds of complaints and be forced to recall the product which can be very embarassing and expensive at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:34 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Catalyst drivers? I thought those were only for the 9000 and up models of ATI cards. Maybe I will give that a try for better performance in my games.

As to the heat issues. Yea, I get those sometimes but its only when the laptop is unplugged from the AC adapter. I don't understand that, but I purchased one of those laptop coolers to use when I am at home with the lappy or at LAN parties. It works alright. I have it so that the fan blows right into the intake under the back right corner. I need to clean the inside of my laptop too, and get all of that dust build-up out.