Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Docking stations and stuff
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:37 pm 

Are their docking stations that would allow my ASUS G Series G50VT-X6 to stay closed and yet turn it on?

I'm trying to use it as a desktop most of the time, except for when I am on the go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:42 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

All compatible docking stations should allow you to do it, but you don't need them. Use the OS's power options.

If you have XP than see step # 6. When I close the lid on my portable computer = Do nothing.

The same concept applies with Vista. Control Panel > Power Settings > Choose what closing the lid does > When I close the lid: = Do nothing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:19 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Most consumer laptops don't have docking stations anymore, and 99% of gaming laptops don't have docking stations. I don't think that the G50 is in that 1% that do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:12 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Don't be such a hater avanish11 :P They make universal docking stations!

I do my best to discourage people from buying them, because 99% of the time average home users don't need them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:08 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Gigabyte wrote:
Don't be such a hater avanish11 :P They make universal docking stations!

I do my best to discourage people from buying them, because 99% of the time average home users don't need them.

In my experience, Universal junk like that never work right, or are too complicated...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:27 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

You're correct, they're always an added PITA! So are the model specific solutions. I can get past all that if there's a legitimate requirement. I'm also going to give credit where it's do. They work but we have to do our part and buy the right kind, just like anything else. Note how I used the word "compatible" before :wink:

My biggest concern is they're normally not needed, for home use, to begin with. "stay closed and yet turn it on" isn't a legitimate requirement IMO. Maybe there's something else... he did write "desktop most of the time."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:48 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

You guys are on crack (or your kids not using your applications in the real world).

Docking stations own (and yes they all allow you to keep your rig on while closed. That is part of the main point). Disconnecting everything every time I needed to take my laptop with me for a client meeting or something would suck donkey cock. Have you ever seen the size of donkey cock?!?!?

Of course they are not as popular for stupid gaming rigs, but they are very popular in Corporate America.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Spider Monkey wrote:
You guys are on crack (or your kids not using your applications in the real world).
You're the one on crack, silly monkey :P I work in the big Enterprise world and support several hundred laptops with docking stations. We couldn't live without docking stations. I even have one on my desk with two Dell 2001 FP monitors hooked up to it!

fyi... I used the words "home use(rs)" intentionally and was careful to not rule out the possibility of the OP actually needed one. However, his post gives me impression that he thinks a docking station is required to have a laptop "closed and yet turn it on", and it's NOT.

Spider Monkey wrote:
Docking stations own (and yes they all allow you to keep your rig on while closed. That is part of the main point).
They give us the option to close the lid if we want (so does the OS^), but it is not part of the main point :lol: The main point of docking stations (port replicators) are to provide desktop functionality, without being too much of a PITA!

Some stands force us to close the lid and use a monitor, but a lot of them allow us to keep the lid up so we can utilize the extra desktop space. Ergonomic designs allow us to change the angle too :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:56 am 

Gigabyte wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
You're the one on crack, silly monkey :P I work in the big Enterprise world and support several hundred laptops with docking stations. We couldn't live without docking stations. I even have one on my desk with two Dell 2001 FP monitors hooked up to it!

fyi... I used the words "home use(rs)" intentionally and was careful to not rule out the possibility of the OP actually needed one. However, his post gives me impression that he thinks a docking station is required to have a laptop "closed and yet turn it on", and it's NOT.

Spider Monkey wrote:
Docking stations own (and yes they all allow you to keep your rig on while closed. That is part of the main point).
They give us the option to close the lid if we want (so does the OS^), but it is not part of the main point :lol: The main point of docking stations (port replicators) are to provide desktop functionality, without being too much of a PITA!

Some stands force us to close the lid and use a monitor, but a lot of them allow us to keep the lid up so we can utilize the extra desktop space. Ergonomic designs allow us to change the angle too :shock:

Then we are both on crack because we agree. (I actually read your posts this time)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:25 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Crack kills. Just remember that :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:54 pm 

Nah guys, all I needed to know is if there was something I could use that would let me keep my laptop closed and turn it on use it like a desk top, and then go from there.

I don't do crack, I am not trying to be an internet tough guy, I just want to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:57 am 

OMGwtfBBQ wrote:
Nah guys, all I needed to know is if there was something I could use that would let me keep my laptop closed and turn it on use it like a desk top, and then go from there.

I don't do crack, I am not trying to be an internet tough guy, I just want to know.

Yes, it is called a docking station.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:38 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Yes, it is called a docking station... or just change the power options so you can open and close the lid to your heart's content.

I covered both in my first post 8)