Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Storm vs iPhone
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:20 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Yes yes,

I know it's another debate, but I know nothing about today's phones. I am currently only on my 2nd cell phone ever. My wife really wants to go iPhone when our T-Mobile contract is up this spring.

I know they do similar things. But, which has a better internet connection? I am looking forward to be able to surf the web and check e-mail on my phone. My razr v3 is about as simple as cell phones get. Phone and texting, that's it.

I would like to hear opinions from both sides and know your pros and cons.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:53 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

The Storm doesn't have wifi ... that is a deal breaker, imo.

They both use the same technology for accessing the 'net: 3G. So their performance in that respect is equal. I find that I'm on wifi more than half the time, though, and wifi is usually considerably faster than 3G.

The iPhone does not have upgradeable memory ... the Storm accepts microSD cards. If space is an issue, you could look at the Storm.

The Storm has a much better camera and claims better battery life.

Other than using it, those are the facts you'll need to make your decision. With something this pricey, I recommend going to the store and playing with each. I *hate* the Storms interface and the fact that you have to click the screen .. but I've had my iPhone since Sept, I'm used to it, and probably biased.

Last edited by Jipstyle on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:08 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

You can't send a mms on an iphone, +1 for the storm
The storm is only on the verizon network, -10 for the storm

So get the iphone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:29 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

HellFighter_06 wrote:

So get the iphone!

So by that logic, -10 at the iPhone for being only on AT&T.

AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:44 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

CTskifreak wrote:
HellFighter_06 wrote:

So get the iphone!

AJ

The AT&T Network is > over the Verison Network from a national perspective. If you live in a hole, that of course make things different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:32 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Spider Monkey wrote:
CTskifreak wrote:
HellFighter_06 wrote:

So get the iphone!

AJ

The AT&T Network is > over the Verison Network from a national perspective. If you live in a hole, that of course make things different.

...or for the fact I'm stuck on T-Mobile. :p

AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:51 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

CTskifreak wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
CTskifreak wrote:
HellFighter_06 wrote:

So get the iphone!

AJ

...or for the fact I'm stuck on T-Mobile. :p

AJ

Get the G1 if that's the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:33 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

The 3G network coverage is terrible....not worth the data plan..and the fact I upgraded my phone in August won't help matters. Maybe when I'm done with college there network will be up to snuff, and a newer Android phone will exist.

AJ

Post subject: Re: Storm vs iPhone
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:12 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Azgaryth wrote:
I am looking forward to be able to surf the web and check e-mail on my phone. My razr v3 is about as simple as cell phones get. Phone and texting, that's it.

Cost of iPhone: $299 (16GB version. $199 for 8GB version)
Cost of mandatory data plan: $30 per month
Cost of basic text plan (200 texts per month): $5.00
Cost of basic phone plan: $30 per month (450 minutes nationwide)

Couple of points. The data plan must be for the life of the contract, which is two years through AT&T. You cannot cancel the plan during those two years. Also, the data plan does not include texting. You have to buy a text plan separately.

Total cost of ownership of an iPhone for two years: $1,745.00

Hope having an iPhone is worth it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:46 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Thanks, good info to know. But I already pay $65 a month for my 2 phone plan with T-Mobile. And that's with the military discount.

The wife is really excited about switching over to an iPhone soon. She is a total mac fangirl. We are going to get her a Macbook Pro too. Guess it's time to finally get a wireless router.

Post subject: User experience and Apple
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:18 am 

I love/hate my iPhone...

I LOVE the user experience on my iPhone, except for it picking out words when I want to abbreviate and sometimes the buttons seem to be on the wrong side when someone is calling. But I learned how to deal with those issues pretty quickly.

I HATE Apple and their uber-control of what I do and how I do things. It's the Apple way though and you either love it or hate it...doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

I used a Storm for about a week and the iPhone experience beats it hands down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:17 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Verizon uses 3g? I could of sworn they were using a CDMA network like Sprint... I get decent data speeds using Sprint, so I can vouch for CDMA data.

I'd go for the storm myself, but that's also because I hate how locked up the Iphone is. I got a Palm to enjoy all the cool hacks and open-source apps that people have worked on. Try getting your old SNES games on an Iphone or Storm.

I've seen both in action and have played with them. The iphone is a bitch to type on since you have no tactile feedback, but this it probably get's easier as you get used to it. Both have beautiful screens and make for an awesome moble-web experience. The upgradable storage to me is a huge plus, and BlackBerry has some very cool apps available, more so than the iPhone IMO.

As others have said, go ahead and try out each one and see which one you like the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:27 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have had my Storm for just about 2 weeks now and my only complaint is the fucking blackberry software to get shit synced form pc to phone. it is the slowest shit ever. The phone itself has been great. It does everything I wanted it for. Being that I have been and and will be with verizon for a long ass time my choices are limited. I did spend a while researching all the phones I had a choice of and the Storm fit everything I wanted (excepted wifi) but that is easy to overlook because teh 3G with verizon is fast enough to do 95% of what I need, it beats the hell out of my BB 8820(work phone) on T-Mobile w/wifi which is stuck on Egde, and T-mobiles net access dropes a lot. With the Storm I am able to post to my wifes site and keep it up to date without the hassles her BB World Edition or my old Windows Mobile had. And the fact that I can (in the near future) replace my iPod in my Truck makes the Storm an even better phone. One device for music movies and communication is far more than I could have ever thought.
Of course if I were with AT&Crap I most certainly would have gone with the iPhone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:49 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Let's see I got to these forums in 2004 and today is the first time I found my way in the raodwarrior Pitstop section.

My cell phone is a brick and the wife's is a smaller brick. Really I mean it, it is an old ancient Qual Com brick that pretty much lays in the truck and I think her phone was last seen in the console of her Jeep. WE have had the same account and phone numbers for over 10 years. I forget who it was originally but it is now Alltel.

All of that just changed. There is a nice guy who interns on camera at the TV station the wife works. He is associated with Verizon and him and I were talking. He provides the phones and services to the TV station.

Tomorrow I get a Blackberry Storm Model 9530 whatever the hell that is? The motivating factor was Verizon since when I bought my laptop (Dell) it came with the air card for Verizon which I have never used. Additionally the price was right for a ton of hardware and the phones as in free.

I guess going from a brick to this should be interesting! Besides Free was a good price for things.

Ron