Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Coby's MP200 MP3 player
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:49 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I have a Coby MP200 1GB MP3 player. I think the general term for cheap players like that one is S3 storage. I remember seeing a site devoted to custom s3 driver builds.

The reason I was seeking that site is that the player wanted to shuffle everything when it's in any folder. I have the files named consecutively (AP001_, AP002_, AP003), but it still plays them back without any detectable pattern. It works fine and plays consecutively when they're on the main drive, and not in a folder.

A note about track order: after turning the player off, it will always pick the last track that you listened to as the first one that you hear when you turn it on. This can make it seem like it's shuffling, but it isn't; it's going through a loop in order of name.

I've seen posts on other sites asking how to turn the player on and how to download files to the drive. To turn it on and off, you need to hold the play/pause button down for 4 seconds. Dump any tracks on the main drive. To jog through a track, hold down one of the arrow buttons until it gets to the time you want to start listening to.

What is really annoying about the player is that it fast-forwards and rewinds very slow. It's a problem when I have to spend five minutes trying to get back to minute 20 of a 40 minute track. I've thought about using Audacity to break up the tracks into smaller bits to make skipping through a single track possible. It would be like the chapters in a single DVD episode.

The maximum volume is too quiet, battery life is about 3 hours, and the headphone cord will only reach to your belly button, leaving the player dangling around your neck, or tucked into your shirt pocket. Still, it lets me listen to podcasts.