Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Connecting xbox 360 through laptop
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:54 pm 

Anyone recommend a device to connect a 360 (or any console really) to my laptop so I can use my laptop's screen to play games? I've looked at a few on newegg, but none are brands I've heard of so I'm concerned about the quality. They have mostly positive reviews, but I trust this community a little more ;P

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:56 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I looked at the devices you were talking about but it won't work with a laptop screen because laptops don't have VGA in ports. They only have VGA out.
You can buy a separate screen and use the device or buy a monitor with HDMI or Composite port (yellow plug)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:01 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

I've heard mixed things about playing a console through the video input on a laptop.

Most of the complaints are because of the lag time it takes for the analog video signal to be digitized, encoded by the host processor to whatever digital format the input card is setup to use (usually MPEG-2), then the data stream (usually MPEG-2) needs to be decoded by the host processor for the playback engine and then finally sent out to the LCD. Depending on the speed of your system, this can introduce a painful amount of lag time.

I did hear about a few success stories (possibly on this board) but they were using a specific brand of PCI card that was supposed to minimize the delay through some kind of 'real-time' host DSP.