Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HP HDX9494NR...best bang for the buck gaming laptop?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:14 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I've been looking this over for a bit, and wonder if anyone out there owns this gaming/entertainment laptop. This most certainly sounds like one of the best configurations that I've ever seen, and wonder what everybody thinks. I really can't say that this would be as portable as it says at it is, tho, that's what worries me. However, I do like the screen size and the specs on this, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are before I finally make some decision here. Here's the specs on it:

20.1 inch (Diagonal) HP Ultra BrightView Widescreen Display at 1680 x 1050 Resolution
2.10 GHz Intel Centrino Processor Technology featuring Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
4096 MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm), 320 GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA), NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS with Up to 2303 MB Total Available Graphics Memory with 512 MB GDDR3 Dedicated
Blu Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer, Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN and Bluetooth
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium, dims in inches: 18.7 (L) x 13.4 (W) x 2.3 approx., weight: 15.3 lbs.

Should I try for this, or are there better configs for the price? I believe that the MSRP I saw was $1600, but if there are better, or if a config like this can be found a little better priced, lemme know. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:31 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Seems like a pretty good price to me. Huge screen, lots of ram, nice gpu. Google around, I'm sure that there are many reviews of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:07 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Yeah, I'm just surprised that HP went to pull out all the stops with something like this. I was originally looking at Lenovo, and boy were THEY pricey, I don't think their pricing changed that much since they took over for IBM. Also, Dell's losing their touch, even tho their XPS-M line would've been worth keeping an eye on at the very least. However, I believe that this is more referred to as a mobile desktop, as opposed to laptop, since it's a monster sized piece. More like HP's take on an iMac meets Lenovo IdeaPad, more or less.

EDIT: Okay, looks like Cnet has compared benchmarks between this and other similar laptops, including Dell's XPS M130, as mentioned, and seems like this could pretty much perform dead even with it. I'll have to see if a Best Buy or Circuit City even has this on a store display somewhere. I'm pretty interested to see how this bad boy can fly. Of course, had it not been so bulky in size and weight, I could've almost said that this would've made a fine portable Blu-ray player as well.