Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Toughbook for office?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:02 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi,

I have been given an opportunity to purchase a used CF-29 toughbook at a great price and was wondering if it would be speedy enough for basic office activities (power point, word, etc)?

I have three different ones to choose from, one is a 1.2GHz, 1.3Ghz, and 1.4Ghz. They are all Pentium M's. Obviously the price increases with each speed bump.

Memory varies from 256MB to 512MB. Would there be a dramatic speed difference between these different settups? Would upgrading the memory of a 1.2Ghz laptop to 1 Gig increase its performance?

There will be no gaming on this laptop.

Many thanks,

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:16 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

toughbooks are pretty cool as a basic work computer.. the faster the better and dont hesitate to add more memory...

the touchscreen is pretty snazzy too

wiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:24 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks for the input.

When maxed out on RAM (1.5 Gbs), a 1.2 or 1.3Ghz Toughbook should be able to load up documents and databases just about as quickly as a 1.66 C2D latop, right? Only when running intensive programs (which I will not be doing) will a C2D laptop pull ahead? Would the difference be noticeable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:43 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I have two toughbooks. One of them, the CF-29, survived a tornado hit to our home. The laptop was pulled from the house and embedded in the outside of it. Still works to this day. If you take your laptop out of the office and on site or on the road, or around kids, the CF-29 can save you big bucks due to it's natural ability to take a lot of things that would leave a normal laptop dead. And it processes all your basic office duties just fine. Mine is the 1.4MHz model. I have 1Gb of ram in mine though. The biggest plus for this thing is the battery life. I'll gladly sacrifice some all out performance for the 4 hours of run time I get on mine. And that's while surfing the net too.

If the laptop will never be used on site and will simply occupy a desk, I would be inclined to look for a newer solution. Unless you're getting that thing for less than $300.