Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Some Newbie Laptop Questions... RE: Office Laptop
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:31 pm 

I'm in the market for a laptop for work (finally!) and I'm looking at just a basic laptop for working in Office, Word, ETC, maybe some mobile gaming (older games nothing new or even 3d). I want something with good battery life, and a Warrantee is a Must.. so that rules out Used laptops. I was looking at Dells, they have one for around $630 with a Celeron 2.6 ghz, which seems like a good choice for me, but i'm wondering... will a Celeron 2.6 or a P4 2.6 have longer battery life.. or is there another processor I don't know about (Pentium M??) that lasts even longer?

Thanks in advance for the advice you guys are always so good :-p

Post subject: Re: Some Newbie Laptop Questions... RE: Office Laptop
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:57 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Kaisies wrote:
but i'm wondering... will a Celeron 2.6 or a P4 2.6 have longer battery life.. or is there another processor I don't know about (Pentium M??) that lasts even longer?

There's a Celeron vesion of the Pentium M processor that basically has half the L2 cache on it. You get much better battery life with one of them over a vanilla Pentium 4m based Celeron.

Look for a Celeron M based laptop with either 512K L2 (Banias) or 1MB L2 (Dothan).

Personally, I'd go with a regular Pentium M over either version of the Celeron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:56 pm 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

I sold 3 of the base laptop models from Dell last week alone. I think they work really great for what you want to do with them. So far I havent had any complaints with them, I even ended up calling up Dell and getting one, althought i got a slightly more advanced model for gaming. But the base models are great for email, internet, office apps and basic gaming. I think for $598 you cant go wrong, especially with a free printer and free wireless card.