Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My new lappy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:43 pm 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

So im finally able to afford a new toy and i decide to get a laptop. Ive had a few junkers in the past, nothing to brag about. Actually, this one aint that fancy either, but its new so im happy.

Ive always been against getting a dell, but have always thought there laptops to be nice. I ordered one for a customer a few weeks back and I liked it. It was even there cheap model for $600. My mom seen it and like it so much she decided to get rid of her desktop stuff and go mobile, so she got the same thing. Those base laptops are cheap and do everything i need them to. Run Money, Quickbooks, internet, email, Instant Messaging and some satelite stuff...
So i went over to dell to see what they could do, with an approved credit line of $5000 I didnt have anything stopping me. I was about to order the base model when i realized I wanted to add a few perks. Internal wireless, bigger hard drive, didnt care for the cd burner, stuck with dvd player, and I decided to get better video card so i could game with it as well. I dont do much else other then BHD and Raven Shield so the 5200 was perfect for that.
I placed my order, came to around $1150, included a Linksys Wireless G router to replace my MS wired station. A week later (today) it arrived. I was happy. I then proceeded to strip out all the junk installed, tempted to format and install my XP Pro. I found that after removing all the garbage and installing my apps, it ran great. My games play flawlessly, internet works all over the house and I have 0 complaints with the laptop or the Dell. My free printer will be here in January sometime, lol.

This was a great deal and I feel i got what i was looking for. Im a happy camper!

Inspiron 5160
P4 2.8 HT
512mb
40gig
Go5200 64mb
Internal Wireless
DVD Player
XP Home
All the other basics

Put fah on there, but the fan spun up and wouldnt shut off, lol...decided this isnt going to join the squad. Off and on too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:19 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Awesome. That model is similar to mine. I got the 5100 about 16 months ago. The price came to about $1500 after rebates. But this was a gift from my parents when I graduated. My specs were:

2.4Ghz P4
512MB
40GB HD (now upgraded to 60GB)
ATI 7500 32MB
no wireless :(
24x16x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD
XP Home

Are you sure that the CD-RW wasn't a combo drive including the DVD? I don't know if they sold the CD-RW by itself when my laptop was purchased. I am also thinking about getting 1GB of ram. I use mine primarily for gaming and word processing and a little programming but that it about all. Watch out for heat problems. I lose performance when it gets hot.