Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: some cell phone questions from a noob
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:28 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'm pretty knowledgeable about most things tech except for cellphones. I don't like talking on the phone thus I don't have much interest in cellphones. I am currently on Verizon Wireless with a Motorola Razr and my 2 year contract ends this October. I move frequently so I have ditched landlines in favor of cellphones which have allowed me to keep the same phone number through multiple moves. I was wondering if you guys could help me make a more educated decision this October when my contract expires. Some things I don't like about my past 1.5 years with a cellphone that I would like to fix.

1. sound quality is lousy
2. I want to be able to easily take pictures off my phone and put them on my computer just by dragging and dropping via USB (something the RAZR won't allow)
3. I want to be able to easily add ringtones or make my own via the USB drag and drop method.

I don't use my phone for texting, or internet, or movies, or music or games...I use it as a phone.
:roll:

I guess I just want a flexible (open?) user friendly phone that is more open and will let me connect it to my PC.

Can anyone recommend a phone? Will I be able to keep my current phone number if I switch to a new phone? What if I switch to a new carrier?

I currently share 700 minutes/month for $80 between my wife and I. This is just enough for the both of us, if you know of a better plan please tell me. Basically any info about anything is greatly appreciated. I felt very uniformed last time I signed up for service, this time I would like it to be different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:06 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have the Alltel Hue (Samsung SCH-R500) which has a microSD slot that can take a maximum of 2gb of space. you can save music movies and pictures to it, then transfer it with a usb cable. Alltel sells the cable and card, but for a big expense. I got a 2gb card form staples for $25 and a cable on eBay for $10. it shows up just like a flash drive in windows. transferring ringtones I use bluetooth with bitpim, suppose you should be able to use the cable. to transfer a ringtone in mp3, midi, or qcp format:

1 - Copy your files to the phone. Sounds in /brew/mod/18067. Bitpim thinks it's an SCH-u470.
2 - Reboot the phone to regenerate your Default Album.alb or MsInfo.db files.
3 - Save the .alb or .db files to your computer, and use a text editor to "replace all" |0|5 for sounds.
4 - Overwrite the files on the phone by dragging and dropping them back into the appropriate folder.
5 - If necessary, reboot the phone.

finally, I am not terribly picky but the audio is adequate for me. has good features, but works fine as a phone. the camera is 1.3 megapixels, so if you hold it still, it takes decent 1280*960 photos. hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:38 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

i have a new motorola z8 razer and it has usb transfer of files the camera is good it is also the firdt uqi not toutch screen smart phone it has a very nice build and looks good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:37 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I'll comment on the plans/pricing. Check with your and wife's employers for any agreements with wireless carriers. My job has agreements with t-mobile, nexel/sprint, and verizon. I save about 20% on my cellphone bill. Your job may have a special website or special number to use to ask for the "corporate discount".

Quote:
don't use my phone for texting, or internet, or movies, or music or games...I use it as a phone

Yeah, me too, but good luck finding a phone that's just a phone. I reluntantly upgraded to a camera phone.