Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: laptop cooling
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:32 pm 

I recently purchased a Targus notebook cooling Chill Mat™ and while it does work, it only cools my laptop by 2-5°F using the included USB power supply rated at 5V. I happened to have a 6V power pack so I use that instead. When things get really hot I plug in a 19V power pack that I have, it is VERY noisy but much worth it. It works so well that the internal fans shut off even at 100% CPU usage! I'd much rather have my $15 cooler blow up than my laptop.

Post subject: Re: laptop cooling
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:44 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

RedRage wrote:
I recently purchased a Targus notebook cooling Chill Mat™ and while it does work, it only cools my laptop by 2-5°F using the included USB power supply rated at 5V. I happened to have a 6V power pack so I use that instead. When things get really hot I plug in a 19V power pack that I have, it is VERY noisy but much worth it. It works so well that the internal fans shut off even at 100% CPU usage! I'd much rather have my $15 cooler blow up than my laptop.

You could always build something yourself using 120-140mm fans...

That'd be relatively quiet and move MONSTROUS amounts of air to cool the underside of the laptop.

Post subject: Re: laptop cooling
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:59 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Chas wrote:
RedRage wrote:

You could always build something yourself using 120-140mm fans...

That'd be relatively quiet and move MONSTROUS amounts of air to cool the underside of the laptop.

yes but how easy is that for a nubie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:12 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

a few cable ties to tie them together and some fan grilles, how hard can it be? (famous last words)