Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Phone + GPS vs. GPS & Phone
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:58 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi. I've been wanting (on the verge of needing) a GPS system for awhile. Since it is time to renew my contract with AT&T I thought I could hit two birds with one stone by getting a cell phone that can use GPS. I've been looking at the BlackJack II by Samsung and considered it my choice for Phone + GPS. However I am uncertain how well phone GPS works. It also costs $10 a month in order for the GPS to work. I could buy a cheaper phone and GPS if separate GPS is better than combined with a phone.

Although I do not want to spend (more or less) $200 for a GPS system. I am not sure what a good automotive GPS would be, but the GARMIN nüvi 200 seems good. Although I would like for a GPS system to be able to play video, although I would not substitute a good GPS system without video for one that lacks and can play video.

Any suggestions on a better cell phone + GPS or some suggestions on solo GPS units would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:05 pm 

I deal with lots of different phones and I have seen many different phone/GPS systems, and IMHO they all are lackluster and only for occasional use. I have the Blackberry 8830 and I use the GPS only when I am away from my truck. This is handy when I use the 411 featue to tell me where the nearest whatever is. You should be sure and check if there is a montly cost, with Sprint the Blackberry has a free GPS system that does everything you need exept voice prompts for directions. An additional $5.00 a month gets you the voice prompts.

As for the unit http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3280381&CatId=2374 For your price range this unit is fantastic. If you want video and music you my have to lower your expectations or raise your price.

I use the HP iPaq rx5900 it holds plenty of music, video, and it's a TomTom.
http://reviews.cnet.com/pdas/hp-ipaq-rx5900-travel/4505-3127_7-32079581.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:23 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Sounds like the phone GPS systems are more for people walking around to find something rather than driving. I can barely find my way from my room to the bathroom so GPS for my automotive would be great. I'll check up the GPS you selected and ones that are similar (just need to wait till pay day)... Anybody else that has suggestions feel free to comment :).