Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: judge my decisions on a laptop (so far)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:50 pm 

Hey, over the past couple of weeks I have narrowed my search down for a new gaming grade laptop for college.
I have so far narrowed it down to:
Falcon NW
Dell
Sager notebooks
and I have eliminated
Voodoo
Alienware
a lot of other nongaming companies

If you have any opinions on these 3 companies or if you want to nominate another, please reply, but look below for the features I need.
The components in all three laptops are nearly identical, but the prices are not. The sager is best priced, followed by the Dell, and the Falcon is nearly twice the price of the sager, but not quite

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 (or thereabouts) ghz
Videocard: Nvidia Gforce 8800M GTX (probably 2)
Memory: 4 gigs DDR2
Tv Tuner: um... yes, hopefully HD
Wireless network: up to an including "n" standard
No Solid state drive, too expensive
2 HDD in Raid 0 (most likely). At least 100 gig each @ 7200 RPM
Normal DVD burner optical drive, no bluray
64 bit Vista Ultimate, emphasis on 64 bit due to 4 gigs of ram
MS Office small business
17" min screen size, min of 1900:1200 resolution

Most have perfect pixel guarantee (included in price of Falcon)

If you have any opinions on any of the components listed, i'll listen, because almost nothing is set in stone. I will look at other companies if they can match these specs at least in the most part.

Post opinions on the companies listed as well- how good is the warranty, do they put crap on the system I would have to wade through, do they cripple the bios or use anything proprietary, etc.

Is falcon really worth the extra cost? I am very impressed by their website, but sager looks good too. I have always hated dell, so I am not looking at them as closely, but I am keeping my options open for now.
thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: judge my decisions on a laptop (so far)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:05 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Dictator Bob wrote:
Is falcon really worth the extra cost? I am very impressed by their website, but sager looks good too.

If it's more then $200, no (Sager's dead pixel warranty = $200).

Keep in mind that Falcon NW and Sager are selling the exact same laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:13 am 

I've no experience with Sager or Falcon, though I know Falcon has a good rep. I've purchased my last 3 laptops from Dell, all Inspirons: 8600 XP Pro 32-bit (5 years ago), 9300 XP Pro 32-bit & Vista Ult. 32-bit (3 years ago), and 1720 Vista Ult. 32-bit (January this year), and all three have never had a problem with any of their components other than batteries eventually dying, something that's going to happen. My wife is still using her 8600, my son's on my old 9300, and the 1720 is my current machine. I use my laptops for everything—work, home, remote access, DVD burning, gaming, just about anything you can think of that a laptop can do—so all have been put through serious paces without a problem.

Based on your listed specs, I assume you're looking at one of Dell's XPS laptops? If so, I can't speak to the quality of those, but I've been working IT for several years now, and have worked on a lot of Dell desktops and laptops. And while their desktops are not the best, I've had really good experience with their laptops.

Anyhow, my two cents. I'm not a Dell evangelist, but I go to them first because of price/performance and previous experience. If I could afford the Alliance WoW XPS 1730, I'd drop the cash on it in a heartbeat. I build my own desktops.

It sounds like whatever you go with, you should be very happy. Good luck.