Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can't Access Excite.com
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:24 am 

I've used Excite.com for several years and just this week I can't access the site. I am using Zone Alarm firewall and virus protection and have been for a long time. Using Windows XP and IE 6. Can't use IE 7 due to work programs not compatible with IE 7. The excite page opens, but I get a ZA pop-up message that suspicious activity is being detected. ZA is trying to access is the IE crash detection file. I check to allow but receive an error report and IE closes. I turned off ZA, tried to open excite and still get the same crash detection message. Doesn't appear to be a ZA related problem. I've run Spybot, Ad-aware and did a virus scan but nothing malicious was found. Is anyone else having problems with excite.com? Anyone have a fix that would work? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:04 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I have no troubles opening the web site in Firefox, install it and give it a try:

http://tinyurl.com/6639dr

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:31 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Nastyman wrote:
I have no troubles opening the web site in Firefox, install it and give it a try:

http://tinyurl.com/6639dr

Nasty

I don't think that Firefox would be allowed at a place that has programs that need IE6.

Anyways, I opened up IE6 (Had to look for it in my drive, I deleted all the shortcuts), and Excite.com works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:16 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I've been using the site for several years as well. I'm having no problems getting there with Firefox or with IE7. Excite was a little slow the first time I checked there today.

See if it's just a browser hiccup. Clear the browser cache, temp files, and cookies. Run your anti-spyware cleaner, and run CCleaner to brush out any crumbs left by the crashes. Check Windows update to make sure you have the browser patches.

If this is at a workplace that has an IT guy/staff, ignore everything above, and call the helpdesk.

Post subject: Re: Can't Access Excite.com
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:10 am 

onthehunt wrote:
I've used Excite.com for several years and just this week I can't access the site. ... Anyone have a fix that would work? Thanks.

I have an Excite email address that I use for potential sites that may send me junk email. Excite is notorius for sponsoring spam and using a server robot to propogate spam through its email system. As a result, most corporate servers BLOCK any attempt to access an excite.com website.

Your IP Provider probably has done the same to protect its customers.

I found an easy way to stop excite from dumping spam into my inbox, I temporarily created an "out of Office reply" that read; "Please do not send any further email as Excite has a problem with its email system. I am sorry, but I will no longer be using this email address."

Within 24 hours, ALL spam stopped. I turned off the Out of Office Replay and the spam hasn't returned.

This proved to me that Excite was intentionally sending Spam to my email.

Don't ever put your friends, family, or employment related contacts in an excite account, without question they will become recipients of spam from excite.

But for an anti-spam account to gain access to other questionable sites, it's a useful email address.