Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wired/Wireless Router??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:31 pm 

Just got a laptop in the house with an a/b/g wireless.
I will be getting a wireless router in a couple of months and would like some opinions on what is out there.
Thank you in advance
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:41 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Are you looking for specific information?

If you just want to get a solid router, I'd recommend D-Link or Linksys.

If you're wanting to do something like install Tomato on your router, then check out the supported models/revisions.

There are ways to boost your signal, such as adding after-market antenna, or tweaking the power in the card/router, but I'd ask someone who's more familiar with it. :lol:

Do you know what chip your laptop came with? If not, could you list them model?

Hopefully someone can come along and move this to the Network Nook where it'd get better attention.

Oh, and congrats on making your first post in four years of lurking! :D

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:55 am 

By all means if the message goes better somewhere else then it should get moved.
The wireless in the laptop is an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945a/b/g 802.11a/b/g Integrated
Need to get a wireless Router that can also handle at least 3 wired connections as well
Just looking to see what is out there and what the opinions are for what is the better router.

And thanks for the welcome, long time lurker had to reactivate my account so I could post :lol: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:36 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

My own personal experience with routers (d-link, netgear, and linksys) leads me to recommend the Linksys. So far it has been the easiest and most trouble free for me. I am currently using the wrt54g. It has four wired ports and normal g speed wireless. If you like to mess with the firmware, get the wrt54gl version. I guess you can do a lot more with the open source software with that one. The Linksys routers do seem to be a little pricier, but IMHO they're worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:16 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Have had good luck with Linksys routers (not so with their bridges) as well. They have a wireless w\4 wired ports. Be aware though that Cisco bought them. I do not know yet whether Linksys will remain or disappear. I do know that if you buy a Linksys the package will most likely include some sort od discount offer to switch to Cisco.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:04 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

ThunderZ wrote:
Have had good luck with Linksys routers (not so with their bridges) as well. They have a wireless w\4 wired ports. Be aware though that Cisco bought them. I do not know yet whether Linksys will remain or disappear. I do know that if you buy a Linksys the package will most likely include some sort od discount offer to switch to Cisco.

You're talking about something that happened back in 2003. I seriously doubt Cisco will shut down Linksys since that will defeat the whole reason behind buying them, to corner the SOHO network market. Please provide proof to your claim, hearsay information doesn't carry very much weight around here.