Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need advice on Notebook components.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:29 pm 

Hello, I need some help in choosing the innards for a Toshiba Sattalite notebook I plan on buying.

I'll explain what I want to use it for. I mainly want a notebook I can program on but has the capability to play SimCity 4 without a hitch and watch DVD movies. I need it to be responsive but not cutting edge. However, it must! be able to play 3D games with decent efficiency. I don't care about Anti-Aliasing much but more overall graphical look and FPS ability as far as SimCity not slowing down. Ideally I would be able to scroll the screen in SimCity4 without the display slowing down to a crawl. I'm not looking to play Doom3 or any FPS games just SimCity4.

This particular notebook is customizable through Toshiba's website and I have a choice in which components I want installed. While money isn't a huge issue it is still a forethought up to about $1,300 USD.

So anyway here's my main question. Should I outfit notebook with a Intel® Celeron® Processor D 330 (2.66GHz, 256KB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB or a Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 518 supporting HT Technology (2.80GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB. As far as gaming goes would I be able to get by with the Celeron instead of the P4?

Last,Final and my most Important Question. I can get a A70 model with an ATI 9000 IGP 64MB Shared memory user adjustable to 128MB memory or! and a big or. I could get an Intel® 855GME integrated grahpics controller instead.

I know that's alot of questions. Sorry to put so much on the plate at once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:45 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Intel Pentium 4 Mobile 518.
I'd take that over a Celeron anyday, however if they have a vanilla Pentium M also available I'd take that over the Pentium 4 Mobile.

ATI 9000 IGP
I'm not a big fan of any integrated graphics processor that uses system memory, but seeing how the Intel Extreme Graphics controller is only a step or two above an S3 Virge DX, I'd have to reccomend the ATI.