Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help! Mini-PCI question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:50 pm 

... I just got this "new" laptop... newer than the one I had previously (going from a Dell Cpx-H to a Dell Inspiron 8000) and all of a sudden I have a Mini-PCI slot! Yay, I also have a networking port that does nothing! Until reciently I thought that only wireless cards were in Mini-PCI form... So I get my nice new laptop, before I even power it up I start exploring all the panels and doors on the back... Found the overly sized one was RAM (whatever..) then found that the teeny tiny one was A Mini-PCI slot!! SWEET! I can actually integrated wireless in my laptop now!! I install windows, and notice that not only do I not have wireless, but the Ethernet port on the side does nothing, and neither of them are shown in the system properties.... Sooo....

Upon further research, it appears that dell left any ethernet and modem capabilities up to the Mini-pci card, which I just now found out has such functions in addition to being a wireless card... So.. I also look and find that there is a spot on the laptops' motherboard for a wireless antenna hookup...

So what I found out is that my laptop only had a 56k modem Mini-PCI card in it, and the network conenction was just dangling there doing nothing... Interestingly cheap... Anywhoo...

MY QUESTION FINALLY!!!
I wanted to know if ANYONE out there is knowledgable of a place where I can get at the very least a Mini-PCI card that has 10/100 ethernet on it, and at the very least also has 802.11b wireless... Ideally I'd like there to be one of those 108mb/s 802.11g with 56k modem and 10/100 Ethernet, but I doubt that they make those because that would be cool....

I have been able to find modem/ethernet combo cards, and I think I may have even sen a wireless/modem card... But not really what I'm looking for..

Anyone out there encounter this problem and/or have a solution/place to direct me to?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated... Thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:57 pm 
There is no cause for alarm... yet

Mini PCI?

Sure you don't mean PCMCIA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:12 pm 

Canucklehead wrote:
Mini PCI?

Absolutely sure... Its newer somewhat... Its also what is used in the mini computers that are out now that have wireless "integrated" its usually a little removeable circuit board with metal sheilding and shielded wires sticking outta it... Their definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) around...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:21 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I also have a dell and mine came with an empty mini PCI slot. I have a small shielded board which is my modem. My Ethernet works as well. I'm not sure if that modem card is also controling my ethernet though. If you look at the owners manual for your computer you can learn a bunch, I did.

Those two antannas are supposed to connect to that mini-PCI card maybe if it is a wireless networking card. I did do some searching for any kind of mini-PCI card a while ago, for myself, on newegg and coulndn't find anything except PCMCIA cards. I would also be interested if someone knows a place to find them.

I can't believe that your ethernet doesn't work. Maybe something is messed up with it. But if all else fails get a PCMCIA card. Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:11 am 

Stick wrote:
I also have a dell and mine came with an empty mini PCI slot. I have a small shielded board which is my modem. My Ethernet works as well. I'm not sure if that modem card is also controling my ethernet though. If you look at the owners manual for your computer you can learn a bunch, I did.

Those two antannas are supposed to connect to that mini-PCI card maybe if it is a wireless networking card. I did do some searching for any kind of mini-PCI card a while ago, for myself, on newegg and coulndn't find anything except PCMCIA cards. I would also be interested if someone knows a place to find them.

I can't believe that your ethernet doesn't work. Maybe something is messed up with it. But if all else fails get a PCMCIA card. Good Luck.

You'd be suprised in the cheapness of what they did for this laptop... Its truly bizzare... What you just described to me sounded too different to be the same model laptop as the one I have, My laptop only has one connection for an antenna for the wifi and the ethernet jack is truly only used if I have a Mini-PCI card that has the connection on it. I can take a picture if you still dont beleive me :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:43 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Canucklehead wrote:
Mini PCI?

PCMCIA are the old 16-bit card based expansion slots found usually in one of the sides of a laptop.

Mini PCI are tiny PCI based slots usually found on the underside of a laptop on the inside of the laptop.

http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/co ... /mini_pci/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:47 pm 

Flytrap7 wrote:
PCMCIA are the old 16-bit card based expansion slots found usually in one of the sides of a laptop.

There's 32 bit as well.
I used to have to work with PCMCIA nics that would only work in 16 bit though the slots were 32 by default.

Post subject: Re: Help! Mini-PCI question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:49 pm 

HuskyDawg wrote:
I have been able to find modem/ethernet combo cards, and I think I may have even sen a wireless/modem card... But not really what I'm looking for..

Anyone out there encounter this problem and/or have a solution/place to direct me to?

I'm still looking, but here's what I came up with so far:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... e=external

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:53 pm 

This guy seems to be selling both cards you might need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

This guy's got a combo card but still no WiFi:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 22892&rd=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:01 pm 

Canucklehead wrote:
Flytrap7 wrote:

There's 32 bit as well.

Yes but they go by a different name:

PCMCIA = Original 16-bit Specification

CardBus = 32-bit PCI Based Specification

ExpressCard = PCI-e Based Specification

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:10 pm 

Flytrap7 wrote:
This guy seems to be selling both cards you might need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

This guy's got a combo card but still no WiFi:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 22892&rd=1

Yeah, but not even the first one has wifi :evil:

I'm not even so against just popping in a modem/NIC card every time I need to use one, but its just annoys me knowing that neither of those physically avaliable ports on the laptop will do anything...

Thanks for looking anyways...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:34 pm 

My advice would be to simply buy the Combo 56K 10/100 NIC Mini PCI card to enable those ports and then get a seperate Cardbus WiFi card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:19 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Dude, I just thought of this....Does anyone sell mini PCI cards with Gigabit LAN? I wonder if my 10/100 LAN would automatically change to 10/100/1000...hmmm 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:31 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

to have it be 10/100/1000 you have to have cat6 cables, hubs, switches and card in all the systems your networking. it wont just automatically go from 100 to 1000 because you plug in one thing that supports it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:48 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Sorry, I misworded that a little. Would my current megabit port on my laptop change to gigabit if I put a gigabit mini PCI card in my laptop. If I could even find one of those cards. I don't have a network at home but I would use it at LAN parties and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:56 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

ok just making sure. but i'd imagine that it'd be an expensive little card if there were such a thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:35 pm 

Stick wrote:
Sorry, I misworded that a little. Would my current megabit port on my laptop change to gigabit if I put a gigabit mini PCI card in my laptop. If I could even find one of those cards. I don't have a network at home but I would use it at LAN parties and such.

I gave the Gigabit Ethernet thing a thought then realized that if a regular PCI card can't handle the bandwidth of 1000baseT, I doubt that a Mini-PCI port would allow for such bandwidths, since a Mini-PCI port is literally what it states, its a shrunken PCI interface, however its the smaller ("older") 32 bit PCI port shrunken down, the ports that allow for 1000baseT cards to get plugged into them are 64 bit ports-- I think... Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Doesn't matter, looks like PCI Express is taking over all peripheral card interfaces in desktop computers anyways hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:13 am 

gramaton cleric wrote:
to have it be 10/100/1000 you have to have cat6 cables, hubs, switches and card in all the systems your networking. it wont just automatically go from 100 to 1000 because you plug in one thing that supports it.

I've found that Gigabit can run just fine over Cat5 and Cat5e wiring. The only main difference between Fast and Gigabit is that Gigabit will use the extra two pairs of wire not used by Fast Ethernet (which makes it next to impossible to mix Gigabit devices with PoE devices)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:39 am 
Klamath
Klamath

hmmm, is the performance the same with both of those cables? Cat5 is the basic 10/100 wiring correct, its also the same thing I ran in my house for all the phone lines. So, I could change all the connectors to RJ45 for home networking at 10/100. Cat5 actually has 8 wires...how many does cat6 have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:08 am 

Stick wrote:
hmmm, is the performance the same with both of those cables?

It depends on the devices, we've gotten gigabit speeds between one of my friend's power book and my workstation over vanilla Cat5.

Cat5e and Cat6 are recommended for new installations now because they have a higher twist per inch ratio and are spec'd out to handle higher speeds (Cat5 and Cat5e have a frequency range of 1-100Mhz, Cat6 has a frequency range of 1-250Mhz)

Stick wrote:
Cat5 is the basic 10/100 wiring correct, its also the same thing I ran in my house for all the phone lines. So, I could change all the connectors to RJ45 for home networking at 10/100.

Correct.

Stick wrote:
Cat5 actually has 8 wires...how many does cat6 have?

Cat5, Cat5e, and Cat6 all have 8 wires.

Ethernet, and Fast Ethernet use two pairs
Gigabit uses four pairs