Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Irrational Partitioning on a New Laptop
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:51 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I recently (within the last 3 Months) Bought an Everex Stepnote 17" Laptop. I bought it because it had that 17" Screen, Dedicated Video (GoGeForce 7600), 2 HD Bays and it was $817 Delivered. The Laptop it's self is good save for a couple of baffling Problems. The Keyboard has a Number pad built in, so they had to jam the keys together closer. The "Shift" Keys are half the size and that does kinda mess with my typing, But the Real Issue is the HD Partition. It came with a 100 GB HD and they partitioned it IN THE MIDDLE. Why would they do that? Instead of me looking at 1 100 GB HD, it shows 2 50 GB HDs. Isn't that the most ridiculous (note that it is spelled correctly) thing you've ever heard of? In addition, when i install programs, they always default to the first HD, so that partition is Amost Full while the other one is Nearly empty. It's easy enough to point new installations at the other Partition, but wouldn't it have been easier to just make on big partition in the first place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:35 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

My Acer came the same way. I figured it was so you could keep data seperate from programs thereby streamlining the backup process. I just used Partition Magic and made it all one big drive. The Acer also formatted the HD fat32 instead of NTFS. Maybe for a little extra speed? Who knows...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:32 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Sometimes I wonder if it is not done as a "sales pitch" sort of thing. For a noob, they might think "wow, I`m getting 2 hdds while the xyz brand is only offering one". I have found that many regular computer users still have no clue on storage size. Many that I talk with still think that the memory is where the programs are stored and have no clue what the hdd is for.

Post subject: Yes it a bit strange.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:22 am 

Is one a recovery partition? HP recovery partition uses FAT32 format and not NTFS. If you have Vista you can manipulate the partition's size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:14 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Not too familiar with vista in that respect. How would i go about resizing the Partition without destroying the data?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:47 pm 

biguglyman wrote:
My Acer came the same way. I figured it was so you could keep data seperate from programs thereby streamlining the backup process. I just used Partition Magic and made it all one big drive. The Acer also formatted the HD fat32 instead of NTFS. Maybe for a little extra speed? Who knows...

They did that because the restore only works on fat32

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:01 pm 

Jimlickster wrote:
Not too familiar with vista in that respect. How would i go about resizing the Partition without destroying the data?

Control Panel->System Maintence -> Administrative tools->Create Format hard disk partitions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:13 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Hold the phone here. Before you go formatting it all into one big partition, there's something you should consider.

You should install your OS, of course, on the C: drive. Also, install all your productivity apps on the C: Drive. But the second partition, probably E: drive if you have an optical, is where you want to store your critical data like office files, pictures you don't want to lose, MP3's and things of that nature. You can certainly install games on that second partition as well. I seriously doubt it's a recovery partition and if it is, it's way too big for that. But I'm betting your computer came with recovery disks. By selectively storing important data oon the second partition, should you get a virus or bad driver install or you bork your OS up in some other way, all the irreplaceable stuff, or hard to replace stuff, is safely protected on that second partition.

Also, when it comes time for defragging, and your C: drive will typically need to be defraged a lot more than your storage drive, it won't take nearly as long due to the smaller partition size.

There's a lot of pluses to having a second partition on a 100Gb drive. Many more than what minuses, if any, there are for it.

As a matter of fact, my main HDD in my laptops and my desktops have at least two partitions. My desktop has a 400Gb HDD. It has a 60Gb OS partition, a 100Gb pictures/movies/home insurance etc...partition, a 100Gb MP3 and movie partition, and the rest in a game partition. Then I have another 250Gb HDD with two partitions on it for games and ripped movie storage/scratch disk/swap file disk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:38 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Some very valid points to consider, but the laptop that i have came with an extra HD Bay and i've installed a 250GB HD in that bay for my important files. I am concerned about having to reload some of my programs by resizing. I'm in Kuwait right now and the only internet access i have on that machine is Wireless, so Online game patches literally take Days to download. I may wait until i'm comfortably back in the states with a good broadband connection to perform that operation. However, i'll probably be using my new desktop by then. I usually start ordering and shipping parts home during the last few months of my Deployment. That way i can build a nice new machine the same way i did the last time i deployed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:59 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

As Quakindude already explained there are several benefits to partitioning the drive. I partition my drives for those reasons plus I dual boot and I like having my files and photos all in one safe place. It makes backups and sharing easy too.

If you still want one partition then.
Move all of the data off the second partition.
Backup all of your important data on the first partition. (resizing partitions is not always safe)
Then resize the drive using a tool like PartitionMagic, Gparted or download the UBCD which has several free Partition Tools to choose from.

Note: Its not a bad idea to make sure you have all of your OS restore CDs together b4 you try this in case something happens. If your not comfortable with the resizing apps you could ask your S6/G6, Helpdesk or IT folks for assistance. I'm sure they have the software too.

Post subject: My 2 cents
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:49 pm 

Whenever I get a harddrive on a pc or laptop I install the C: as a boot (very small), D: as optical drive, E: as system, and F: as storage. I do this with Partition Magic. You can adjust drive sizes as you like but I usually create and alternate program file folder on my F: drive where I install all my new programs; MS and other bare essentials stay on E:. Even then MS seems to want to hog all the space and fills the E: drive. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:51 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Partitioning does offer some advantages, as mentioned above, but there are also some disadvantages.

The main one would be speed. As an NTFS partition fills up it starts to slow down. It can become noticeable around 25% space left. This is for a number of reasons. Mainly because of the way the MFT works and if the partition is close to full you cannot fully defrag the drive.

Really, though, it's just personal preference whether or not you merge them both into one partition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:58 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

and why are we reviving 3 month old threads?