Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laptop and external HD
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:58 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have a new Inspiron laptop with Vista Home Premium. I am about to deploy to a large sandbox. Upon arrival, my HD will be wiped and have XP Pro installed along with software that the military deems necesary. It will again be wiped when I leave. My question is if I put all my software on an external drive(installed via Vista), will it work after they install XP? Will the software installed with Vista still work properly on XP? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:14 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

what i would recommend you do is make an image of the drive right before you leave. If there is some specific software you need while you are deployed take the install with you and while you are gone.

Any specific files you need at the end of your term before you come home, I would recommend saving on the external or a flash drive.

Chances are a program installed with vista on an external would not work when tried to run on an xp system. The registry edits a program makes when it installs would not be there, and I am pretty sure the edits made on an xp system is different from the vista versions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:42 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks Massimo!

How about this... If I install programs on the external via XP Home from my desktop will it work? You mentioned the registry would be different between XP and Vista. Is there a difference between XP Home and XP Pro?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:13 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

There are, but i couldn't tell you what they are.

I think making an image is your best bet.

If you want to start goofing around with the registry, there are a few programs that will compare registry files for you. What you would need to do is save your registry before you install the software, and then again after you install. Then compare those files to fine what was changed and use that to make your modifications.

If you do get deep into this, you might want to make a thread in the OS area for more help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:31 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Some might work. but most probably won't. When I dual booted Vista with XP on my laptop, I had Adobe acrobat, Photoshop CS3, and Office 03 installed in vista, then I booted into xp and none of them worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:52 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks guys!

Massimo, what you suggest is way over my head. I'm not computer savy enough to mess with registries and I'm not entirely sure what Imaging means. So, I guess I will just take the disks with me (hopefully they won't get lost or damaged) and install them there. I just wish I was a wee bit more better smarter... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:07 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Best of luck an be safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:46 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Hey Divemaster,

I'm sure you can figure out imaging, especially if you decide to shell out $50 on a retail product like Acronis True Image.

It's pretty straight-forward, you run the program, with an external drive or another internal drive attached. I'm sure they have an easy, one button push and forget setting. It will go just the way Massimo was saying, with all your programs and saved files as they were when you created the image. When you restore, you will likely run some version of Acronis that can be booted (usually a CD) and with the external drive attached again, you can use the one button trick again to have your laptop back the way it was before you left.

There are even free programs out there, but I can't vouch for their ease of use. http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml

Thanks for serving our country, BTW. Take care of yourself!