Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ditch Vista for Windows XP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:48 pm 

I recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite P205-S7476 17" Widescreen notebook. Unfortunately, it came with Vista Home Edition. I would like to ditch the Vista and install XP Pro, but I have heard nothing but nightmare stories about people who have tried to do this. Can anyone shed any insight on this project? Thanks for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:09 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I would've liked to switch back to xp on my hp dv9000t notebook, but there are no available xp drivers from hp. Arrrggghh!!! As for you, make sure there are xp drivers for your machine before taking the plunge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:03 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I don't suppose you would mind waiting for Vista SP1 to come out in December, and seeing if you like it better rather than trying to install XP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:26 pm 

nam112381 wrote:
I don't suppose you would mind waiting for Vista SP1 to come out in December, and seeing if you like it better rather than trying to install XP?

I don't care to have my choices taken from me. I planned on replacing an older machine with this one. I have MS Office 2003 Pro and Adobe Acrobat Professional that I would reinstall on my new machine. Unfortunately they are XP programs. Now, I am expected to purchase new Vista versions of these programs for several hundred dollars instead of purchasing XP Pro for much less. That offends me. On top of that, these machines are pimped as gaming machines, yet most popular games don't run on them because of Vista. Neverwinter Nights is a favorite of mine. I have all the sequels and the premium mods as well as several fan mods. I also play it online. I have read online that it does not work on Vista. Am I supposed to assume that Microsoft, with their establshed reputation for benevolence, will rectify this situation in December? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:34 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

If history is any indication, SP1 WILL improve usability and SP2 will make it rock solid. XP has just as bad compatibility issues when it came out and now its as solid as any Microsoft OS will get.

Nonetheless, I agree with you (mostly because I find Vista bloated and very dumbed-down, much like Mac OS) and would format and install XP. Perhaps you might want to try dual-booting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:16 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

In the several replacment installs I have done of XP replacing Vista, the Vista drivers have worked. You just have to accept the "these drivers are not digitally signed" whoo-haa.

WARNING!! Your mileage may vary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:47 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

I dual booted XP and vista on my laptop back in june, and I have about 3 XP disks: XP pro no Sevice packs, xp home sp1, xp home sp2. I tried all 3 regularly, but none worked because of the SATA hard drive I have.
What you have to do is get a usb floppy drive, since I doubt you have one in your laptop, and go to your chipset's manufacturer's website, and they should have a download labelled "XP SATA installation Drivers" or something like that. You would need to run the program on an XP comp, since vista is crap and it doesn't like the Floppy disk imaging programs.
Plug in the floppy drive and put in the Disk. Then when you try to install XP, at the beginning when you boot off the CD, the blue dos-like screen comes up, Press F6.
Then it asks you for which driver you want. Pick through each choice one at a time, since they usually put a couple of chipset's drivers on the same disk. If you picked the wrong one, you'll get a hard drive not found error. Just pick the one next on the list.
Eventually you'll get the right one, and it'll ask you which drive you want to install on. Then you just follow the directions and install XP normally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:32 pm 

hi

per adventure i can help. my toshiba ha xp pro on it. let me know what drivers you need. youwill have to do the research on this as the morphine and anti-depressants keep me out of the loop a goodly part of the time.

my recovery disks are for a100/a105 series if these won't work, i tried . . .

fred