PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:07 am 

If possible, try to keep it under $1200. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Need laptop for school, gaming
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:17 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

pnwbnsf wrote:
If possible, try to keep it under $1200. Thanks

This should be posted in Help me buy help me build!
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=35

Read this b4 you post!
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12418

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:16 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

The help me build/buy thread tends to be more desktop oriented, I think. And ths being the place for portable topics, I don't think it is necessarily out of place, but the Help me Build/Buy area gets more traffic. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time.

$1200 unfortunately won't get you a lot of gaming power in a laptop. Good gaming laptops are also usually large and heavy, making toting them around often somewhat of a pain.

Check out the Asus G1 though. at 15.4" and 6.8 lbs it is still moderately portable and sports an 8600m gpu. On sale at Best Buy for $1500 right now. Asus is a brand often overlooked, and their laptops are pretty nice. There are slight differences between the bestbuy models and the regular models though, so shop around. It's mainly to do with warranty and accessories.

I've seen some 8400m equipped models too, which is better than on board graphics, but nothing spectacular. The various other 'gaming' laptops can be observed at most retailers, you can see what you think of them yourself, so I'll save the screen space.

But one other brand that many aren't ware of is Sager. The 2090 model has an 8600m gpu, 7lbs, and starts at about $1100. It also has lot of options to trick it out too. You can see it at PCTORQUE.
Once you start adding stuff to it, it gets more expensive, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:44 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Urvile wrote:
The help me build/buy thread tends to be more desktop oriented, I think. And ths being the place for portable topics, I don't think it is necessarily out of place, but the Help me Build/Buy area gets more traffic. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time.

$1200 unfortunately won't get you a lot of gaming power in a laptop. Good gaming laptops are also usually large and heavy, making toting them around often somewhat of a pain.

Check out the Asus G1 though. at 15.4" and 6.8 lbs it is still moderately portable and sports an 8600m gpu. On sale at Best Buy for $1500 right now. Asus is a brand often overlooked, and their laptops are pretty nice. There are slight differences between the bestbuy models and the regular models though, so shop around. It's mainly to do with warranty and accessories.

I've seen some 8400m equipped models too, which is better than on board graphics, but nothing spectacular. The various other 'gaming' laptops can be observed at most retailers, you can see what you think of them yourself, so I'll save the screen space.

But one other brand that many aren't ware of is Sager. The 2090 model has an 8600m gpu, 7lbs, and starts at about $1100. It also has lot of options to trick it out too. You can see it at PCTORQUE.
Once you start adding stuff to it, it gets more expensive, of course.

Urvile is correct. Those two computers is perfect. It may also help if you name what games you plain to play and what you will be doing for school. If your just wanting to play Doom 3. I can do that on my integrated laptop at low but playable frames. I know allot of people say Cypberpower PC is shit. But we just ordered my stepdad a custom made laptop from there with Intel C2D 2.4 Ghz 800Mhz FSB/4 gigs of ram/8600m I be leave 256mb with 1 gig of turbo memory. Hes pretty happy with it and we have no problems with it at all. Just your usual vista problems.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:11 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I found this Asus V1. Seems pretty powerful (nvidia 8600gt + 2.4Ghz Intel Core2Duo) and it weighs only 5.9 lbs. What do u think?