Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Syncronizing Laptop with Desktop.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:06 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Hi all,

so i recently purchased a laptop for school (dell m1330). what i want to do is to syncronize my laptop with my desktop every few days, ie. backup all my assignments and projects to my desktop, as well as transfer music, pictures, movies, etc from my desktop to my laptop on a regular basis.

what is the best way to do this? as of now the desktop is connected via wifi to my wifi router, which is upstairs (which provides wireless internet to all the computers in the house) i could set up the laptop to transfer files over the wireless connection, but it would be really slow.

however, i do have an old 10/100 router lying around which i could hook up the desktop and laptop to (it wouldnt be connected to the internet) and set up simple file sharing. or is there a better way (ie directly hook up the comptuers through usb)?

thanks,
tz

EDIT: oh and i should mention that the laptop runs vista home premium and my desktop runs xp professional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:45 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... nctoy.mspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:24 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Flytrap7 wrote:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

thanks for your help, but that wont work for me, it assumes that i'm transferring data between computers using a memory card, for which i dont have.

I was thinking something like hooking up the laptop directly to the computer via ethernet or USB. what do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:59 am 

tau_zero wrote:
thanks for your help, but that wont work for me, it assumes that i'm transferring data between computers using a memory card, for which i dont have.

No.

It takes two folders that you specify and will synchronize those two folders together. You can also create multiple folder groups and have them all synchronize (or echo, subscribe, etc) when you hit the run button.

The folder don't need to reside on the same computer either, you can sync two folders on two different machines over a network as well.

It has nothing to do with memory sticks. I've been using this program for two years now, and I've never used it with any type of memory stick.