Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:58 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Flytrap7 wrote:
As long as you don't get a lemon I've found that I don't need to deal with Support.

That was the case when I got my first laptop almost four years ago from Pro-Star. They don't have a very good reseller rating but it didn't matter because the laptop never needed any service (except for taking apart the heatsink for dust and cat hair removal, which occurs every 4 to 6 months).

Personally I see no reason for a support line except to bitch at the guys on the other end for lack of driver updates and complaints about lack of features in the subsequent models (yes, guilty :D ).

I agree and dissagree :wink: Since most everything else is similar (price, options, build quality) why wouldn't you go with the reseller with the best service rating? In my research I found Hyper to always accomodate the customer with any and all problems...while Sager/ProStar had numerous consumer complaints.

Wunderbar
true but people are just giving TimWang diff options and this is one...I mean, I personally have an older desktop replacement laptop (IBM), my next one will be an ultra-portable...but that's just becuase my requirements have changed. If someone (like Flytrap..and my friend) require heavy PC horsepower, large screen, and gaming capabilities, then the answer is quite obvious..you give up a little size and battery life....it all boils down to what your requirements are...and I think the theme of this thread relates to TimWang's going off to school and needing a laptop...people are just giving him some options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:52 am 

Well, if you want the opinion of a board noOb, i would go with a Centrino platform laptop if i was a kid heading off to college.

I bought a Dell Inspirion 8600 last year, a 1.6 ghz Pentium M, geforce 5650 and 512 MB DDR.

It has been a great laptop.

It plays every game i have tried to play so far. The most recent being Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War. After gaming for 2 hours i can still have the laptop sitting on my lap in nothing but shorts and it is war, but not hot.

When it comes to just watching dvds, i can get about 3/4 of the way through the extended edition of one of the LoTR movies. Just surfing on my couch running on batteries it will last about 3.5-4 hours on one charge.

Granted, it isnt going to compete with those monster laptops like the XPS, Alienware, Sager gaming machines and such with full desktop cpus in them but it does great for what it is. the 1.6 is roughtly equal to about a 2.2 ghz P4.

Good luck