Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NEED LAPTOP HELP! HP Pavilion xt155
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:48 am 

Problem:
Computer refused to boot one day. Would stop at splash screen and reboot, constant cycle.

Troubleshooting:
Symptoms resembled Sasser. Tried sasser clean utility, but had no effect. Ran Factory installed hardware diagnostics - no errors found, problem persisted.
Tried Repair Install. Got "cannot copy file" errors on almost every file. Hit Enter to try again, same error. Hit ESC to ignore file and it errors on the next file it tries. Does this all the way through.
Thought it was bad hard drive. Bought/installed new one. Same errors.

Notes:
Tried every kind of format available through XP Setup with same results on both Hard Drives.
Tried three different XP install disks on both hard drives, same result.
Looked in BIOS for AntiVirus protection, but there was none (BIOS is Phoenix KE.M1.41. HP Website has update, but must be done from the OS)

Tried setup from i386 directory on XP CD using Win98 boot floppy per MSKB article: 307848. Would copy a lot of files, then simply appear to hang (constant activity on HD light, none on CD ROM)

Running out of options here. Not in a place where I can contact HP cust svc. Need help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:30 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I'm not sure but this forum board doesn't get hit as often as the General Hardware does. I would recommend you post your question there if you don't have luck here. It may not be a laptop only type of question. People with desktops may have had the same problem as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:47 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

I would check your RAM, just so you know that it might not be causing the problem.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Download that and burn the ISO to either a CD or download the boot disk installer. Let the extended test run through fully a few times and see if the memory has gone bad.

Post subject: NEED LAPTOP HELP! HP Pavilion xt155
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:44 am 

Thanks folks! I didn't notice the General Hardware board yesterday. I'll post this there and run the Memory Test that Flytrap7 suggested.