Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Help Finding a PDA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:13 pm 

I'm looking to buy a PDA for my wife. She is currently in her clinicals for nursing. They told her that some of the medical books that they will be reading are also available in PDA form. They also said that next year the will be requiring everyone to have a PDA.

I have no clue where to even start. I would like it to have wireless capability and color. No idea on price range either as I have no idea what would be considered midrange or high end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:09 am 

WoW, 41 views and no one has any recommendations on a PDA? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:55 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Hmm, I haven't been checking the boards recently...I could have replied earlier.

My dad and sister have the Dell PDAs (Axims). They seem pretty versatile and tough, and they run Windows CE or pocket pc, or whatever their os is called now. I can't seem to buy them anymore on the Dell website, they're only advertising Palms now, so maybe Dell discontinued them.

Palm is well known too. The programs/books your wife may have to use maybe compact flash card based, and may only be compatible with certain systems. I would probably guess with Palm, not sure about Windows, though the Axims also had CF slots.

I don't really see the difference between PDAs with different clock speeds. You're really only looking at the features. The Dells definitely had color screens and wireless access (my dad's through a card add-in, my sister's had a chip built-in). All pdas seems to have color screens now too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:29 am 

Thanks for the info. Yeah, Dell got out of making PDAs. They just sell them now, no more Axims.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:43 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

No problem. I just found out the Sony Clie, which I have used in the past is no longer sold in the US, too!

I guess that leaves you with either a Palm PDA or the HP Ipaq as well known PDAs. A few other companies make them, but I've never even seen 'em.

I suppose a smartphone, which is rapidly supplanting this category, is out of the question. I don't know if they have the compatibility with the cf card programs that medical professionals use.

Post subject: Re: Need Help Finding a PDA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:21 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Phosphorous wrote:
I'm looking to buy a PDA for my wife. She is currently in her clinicals for nursing. They told her that some of the medical books that they will be reading are also available in PDA form. They also said that next year the will be requiring everyone to have a PDA.

I have no clue where to even start. I would like it to have wireless capability and color. No idea on price range either as I have no idea what would be considered midrange or high end.

300 bucks. TREO 700wx.

Or if you want to save 50 bucks get the TREO 700p. It has the Palm OS instead of the Windowz OS (more downloads available on the intertoobz because it is open source).

Stay away from the Motorola Q.

(I've been working on this decision myself for about a month now which may be relevent from my other posts in this folder)

Don't waste money on something that only functions as a traditional PDA. Get cellphone integration.

Post subject: Re: Need Help Finding a PDA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:41 am 

Spider Monkey wrote:
Phosphorous wrote:

300 bucks. TREO 700wx.

Or if you want to save 50 bucks get the TREO 700p. It has the Palm OS instead of the Windowz OS (more downloads available on the intertoobz because it is open source).

Stay away from the Motorola Q.

(I've been working on this decision myself for about a month now which may be relevent from my other posts in this folder)

Don't waste money on something that only functions as a traditional PDA. Get cellphone integration.

I would but the wife and I just got new cell phones and thanks to Verizon's lovely policy we are still under contract and I'd hate to turn around and buy another new phone.

Don't know much about the SmartPhones, but don't they charge for using Internet and connecting wireless and such?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:22 pm 

Depends on the plan brah.

In fact, you could probably upgrade to new phones, and cover the cost by retaining the plan with an unlimited internet usage deal (5 bucks mang).

Its like buying a car. They want to work you over, and you want a deal.

Buying a cell phone and a PDA is just a waste of money in my opinion....

Why buy a car and a motor when the car comes with one that does the same thing and saves you money to boot? :D