Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can I Find a Reliable Laptop? Extended Warranty a Must!
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:36 pm 

I've had enough of the Indian service guys and the hardware that dies right at the end of the warranty. I'm going to be buying a new notebook for college, and I want it to last me more than 18 months. My Dell's motherboard fried at that magic number, and I've had my Compaq for the same amount of time. The Compaq just had mobo, proc, and ram replaced after going through hell with support ONE DAY before my warranty ran out. At one point in the repair process, they told me the warranty had expired and asked how much I paid last time (I hadn't spent a cent on repairs, never hope to).

I want something high quality. It has to be decent for gaming and able to withstand daily use. Also, I haven't the slightest idea how to rate processors these days, so what's good? I'm probably going to go for at least a 120gb HDD and 2GB ram, but that's about all I've settled on. Most importantly, warranty needs to be good and/or open for extension.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:44 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I would recommend an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad, but I don't love their gaming performance. The certainly keep cool and last though. My sister has one, since her college assigns all their students one (lucky, right? wait till you see the tuition bills). If a laptop can last one year under her use, without anything going wrong, it'll last for anyone. I don't know about long-term, but she is the person who games on her bed, blocking the exhausts and stressing the fan, yet that Thinkpad keeps soldiering on.

I feel like a lot of laptops are just not well designed for gaming. They're going to have hot cpus, even hotter gpus, so they're almost always big and bulky, to accommodate airflow, and when they're not...trouble can brew. My brother for instance has a Hypersonic laptop. They had good reviews and are respected system integrators, but his ram overheated, the case has warped/cracked overtime from heat, etc...

I know this shouldn't be the case, but consider buying a fan table to put your laptop on, especially if it's on a soft surface, to try to keep it ventilated. Try to keep it on hard surfaces, that's always recommended, but if you can't, try to keep the heat down, don't engage in hard-core gaming.

Myself, I have a MacBook Pro. I still have a pc desktop, and I run Boot Camp and Parallels, so I can always boot up in xp to play games, or run some program in emulation like Windows Live Messenger in Parallels. I run folding@home on it too, running the dual-core at max, so I always keep it on a fan table when on my desk, and when I'm not at my desk, folding is always paused, leaving my laptop cool.

I'm just giving you these tips because it seems the problems you've listed are almost entirely due to heat, because of bad airflow design or use. I hesitate to recommend Dell, because I dislike the size of the standard Inspiron case, yet the bulk of it seems to allow for adequate cooling. HP's rep in laptops is improving rapidly; just make sure you know what you're getting. Don't buy one of their multimedia behemoths weighing 13lb if that's not what you're looking for. They have other designs!

In processors, you're looking for an Intel Core 2 Duo. I would recommend an Intel in the 7000 (7200, 7400, 7600) series of numbers, since they've got the improved 4mb cache, double that of the 5000s. You can save money with an AMD Turion x2, but I really have no experience with them, even though I am an AMD die-hard on the desktop side. (Not to say that I'm not awed by the performance of my work Core 2 Duo 6700, I just can't justify the price difference to myself)

Someone who knows about warranties post more! I have a three year warranty (with extension plan) on my Macbook Pro, I believe Lenovo will warranty you for up to 5 years, if you pay. 3 years next day delivery repairs for them are $119, pretty reasonable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:25 am 
Klamath
Klamath

mac_book_pro
I run an xp desktop, and a macbook pro dual booting xp and osx, and couldnt be happier with it. best thing, no talking to indian people! you can go to a mac store and talk to a REAL person :P if you dont want a mac, I like the hp laptops! they perform well, and are priced competitively. check out the 6000 series or whatever it is. I would avoid dell/alienware (bad experiences with both).. well, theyre pretty much the same company, so what do you expect.
you can get good warranties on the hps and macs too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:52 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

I'll second the Macbook Pro running Parallels.

In terms of extended warrenty and tech support you really can't beat Apple. I had a G4 with a bad 64-bit PCI slot and they replaced the motherboard without interrogating me as to how I knew what the problem was.

Only time I ever had a problem with Apple was on their phone support. I got some tard named Josh who absolutely blamed all my problems on an expansion card that tested perfectly in another Apple. So I simply hung up, called back, and got someone with a lot more intelligence.