Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Replacing My DTR 'Notebook'
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:11 am 

Hello all. I am looking for some feedback on an idea I'm kicking around. I am currently using an HP zd8000, which has served me well for over 2 years. I've recently had to send it in for repairs, which set me back around $400US, since I didn't buy the 3 year warranty. Well, this got me to thinking about what I actually use this machine to do and trying to find a more modular (easy to repair system).

Basically, I travel to our company's HQ for 2-4 weeks at a time. I set it up in a cube and work, then I drag it to my hotel room and set it up and work/play. Since I only work in my home office or the company HQ, I really don't use it as a laptop type computer. So...I am thinking of building a small 'portable' PC based on a case like Silverstone's SG01 Evolution; I've seen that they even have a duffel-bag type carrier for it.

I like to play MMOs when I'm away from home, so I need decent performance. According to everything I've researched, I could drop in a nice MB like Foxconn's G9657MA with a C2D and a good HDD. If I add 2-4GB and maybe even a 8800GTS, this system should blow the doors off of most DTR notebooks for a fraction of their price. The only real sticky point is a monitor. At the HQ and home, this is no issue, but in my hotel room I'd need some kind of monitor. I'm looking at Shuttle's XP17, since it's kinda portable.

Does this seem like a totally off the wall idea? I've looked at AOpen's miniPC, but that's basically built like a laptop. With this other solution, if something craps out, I can replace the part and be back at work without losing much time.