Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Decent Gaming Laptops
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:59 pm 

Could I get some reccomendations on gaming laptops? Currently I have a HP zv6000 with an ATI M200 Express and it does decently with things like HL2, NWN and F.E.A.R. but playing games like City of Heros all the gfx just make it sputter and wheeze. Despite what others have said about HP not being that great... I've dropped this unit twice, spilled iced tea on in and had it rained on and it still works great.

The wife would also like to get one so we can game together so it would be a pair deal since she can't stand me haing something better then she has. lol

We would like to keep the price range under $1k and I would prefer a "name brand". I get discounts from Dell through my work but the least expensive I can find with a non Intel gfx chip is over 1.3k

At least 1 Gig of RAM
HD space isn't that important but I do occassionally run photoshop and do some minor video editing.

Would prefer an AMD chipset, not sure if duo core would be worth it for me or not. Currently I have a 64 bit proc in a 32 bit windows. I feel it's going to waste.

A PCI card slot is very important because I use a sierra wireless air card to access the net while I am on the road and WI FI at truck stops gets too expensive. Her latpot won't need it so if we can find a comparable model to mine in the cpu/ram/gfx card specs I don't think she will mind.

A DVD player at least for me. I tend to toss a dvd on while driving and I listen to the movie. All the ones I own I seen enough to not need to watch it to know what is happening. I even tend to "sing" along with the movie.

Thank you for your assistance.

Post subject: Toshiba Satellite P100-ST1072
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:17 pm 

I have somewhere already recomended the configurable 17-inch Toshiba Satellite P100-ST1072. It costs $1058 with Core 2 Duo T5200, 1GB RAM and GeForce Go 7600 with 128MB discrete graphics memory .
Link: http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cmo ... 05&seg=HHO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:02 pm 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834280004
Only one I can think of. The 7600 is decent. A lot better than the Xpress 200m that's for certain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:02 pm 

XPS. Still my favorite gaming laptop. Sure you might be able to get desktop parts and sli in something like an alienware, for about $6000. XPS offers best price/ performance ratio by far, and it looks pretty ^_^
i myself own a dell xps, GEN 2 (bought it over 2 years ago). i can still play the latest games with the settings medium-high, with excellent fps. Only drawback for me will be in dx10 games, which i don't see even interesting me for another two years.