Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laptop Coolers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:56 am 

Hey guys,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 with a 2.4ghz P4-M, 512MB PC 2100 Memory, and a GeForce Go 420 card with 64MB of memory. I use it for the net, typing up research documents and proposals for my boss, and to feed my hopeless addicition to Everquest.

Problem is, during use over about a half hour this thing gets hot. It gets ass freakin' hot. I downloaded a utility that monitors temperatues and adjusts fans accordingly, and noticed the processor under heavy load can reach temperatures as high at 75C, and the GPU gets up to about 70C.

While browsing newegg I saw a multitude of laptop coolers from various vendors. Are these things worth it? Will they reduce the temperature on my laptop enough to warrant the purchase? Sorry for the lengthy post, but I was trying to be descriptive as possible in order to get as much information back from you guys. Thanks:)

S-Groove

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:37 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

i read an article one one laptop cooler was and it had its positives and negatives. the good thing is that it does lower the temps a bit but the bad is that the cooler takes air away from the laptop when it should blow air in. oh well, hope not all laptop coolers have the same method of cooling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:52 am 

I have a laptop cooler that I built to use with my Inspiron 8200. I made it with plexiglass and three LED fans. So far its been great and I have been using for about three years.

Thelostgm

Last edited by thelostgm on Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:20 am 
Northwood
Northwood

[quote="thelostgm"][/quote]

cool..no pun intended

your pics are too big dude:

http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1431

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:39 am 

Sorry about that. Hope thats better.

Thelostgm

Post subject: Re: Laptop Coolers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:50 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Saikyo Groove wrote:
Problem is, during use over about a half hour this thing gets hot. It gets ass freakin' hot. I downloaded a utility that monitors temperatues and adjusts fans accordingly, and noticed the processor under heavy load can reach temperatures as high at 75C, and the GPU gets up to about 70C.

Unless the utility came from the company that either: 1. Sold you the laptop, or 2. Built the laptop, I wouldn't trust the temperatures you're seeing. Most laptops made within the past few years have a thermal protection circuit built into them so when the temperature reaches a predetermined threshold set by the manufacturer it'll automatically shut off (I've personally tripped mine several times without any damage to the CPU).

So my advice is unless you're: 1. Tripping the thermal protection circuit, or 2. Burning your legs, I'd say it's not hot enough to warrent buying extra gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:22 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Sorry for brining this old thread back but I couldn't figure out why I my lapper kept shutting down all the time. And it was mostly during games. Thanks a lot for that info!

I also figured out that it would shutdown more often when the AC adapter was NOT plugged in. Maybe the fans can run faster only when they have the extra juice...

Like I posted in the other thread, I purchased a Vantec 305 to cool my baby down. If you are still interested I will reply on how well it works. I like the custom rig thelostgm.

Here's the link to the Vantec:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 413&depa=0
I got the one with the extra 4 port USB hub just for the hell of it. You never know when you might need it. This one was $35.00, and there is also a cheaper one that does nto inlude the 4 USB ports for $25.00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:26 pm 

Stick wrote:
Sorry for brining this old thread back but I couldn't figure out why I my lapper kept shutting down all the time. And it was mostly during games. Thanks a lot for that info!

9 times out of 10 this problem can be solved by simply cleaning the dust buildup inside the laptop's cooling system.

I've got a cat and I usually pull dust and cat fur out of mine, usually once every 7 or 8 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:48 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Well, I got my Vantec lapcool just a half and hour ago and did a little gaming test. I still get about the same amount of lag in games at high quality. This thing is just over 1lb. Feels cheap and flimsy.

Surprizingly, I also thought the fans were blowing the air down away from the laptop but it blows the air up. And the fans only blow in one spot. So my RAM stays cool and thats about all. Also, the fans are really quiet so its good in that way. But you sacrifice more cooling for silence.

Conclusion, not for gaming. Good for toting to LANs instead of my 14" house fan, I also had it sitting on 12 gauge shotgun shells to blow the air from underneath. :lol: There's my review, that'll be 50 cents please. :D