Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: For all you people that ask what the Best Gaming Laptop is..
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:31 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Every day I see somebody that says they want to know what laptop is best to play games on. Well here you go.

If you are a hard core gamer and want the convenience of playing big graphic games like Doom 3, Farcry, Half-Life 2 then the current best out there is the Dell Inspiron XPS.

Right now Dell is the only company that is selling a "256MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9800 AGP 8X Graphic card" with their laptops.

Alienware laptops still have the old crusty Mobility 9700 with 128Mb. Reason why is Dell has an exclusive deal with ATI so for the time being only Dell will have the 9800's.

Did I also mention the Alienware 51M cost about $800 more for basically the same components. If you want to pay that much more for some glowing eyes on your laptop then go ahead.

So if you want the BEST gaming LAPTOP available along with an awesome price get a Dell XPS. You can fully deck one out for $2000.

$2000 you say? Yes, for example yesterday they had a 25% off coupon code along with a $200 rebate and free shipping. So the total came to $2,100 with 1GB of memory, DVD+R drive, 60 Gb 7200 rpm, the works. Go to alienware or anywhere else and try to get that price.

If you want a portable laptop your best choice is an IBM or Dell 700m. Trust me on this, so far I've spent 4-5 weeks at college here at Penn State and I've seen every laptop imaginable. I didn't realize the 700m was that portable until some kid in class pulled it out and let me mess around with it. That and you get 4-5 hours of battery life. If your concerned with battery life its a must to get a Pentium M, you'll get tons more battery power then a P4 since P4 is not built for laptops.

Be advised even though the Inspiron XPS is the current best gaming laptop, battery power is pretty much non-existent. A kid in the dorm room next to me has one and its really big, the reviews don't lie. It's not meant to be tugged around to classes 24/7, rather as a stationary system that rocks at playing games but is portable enough to bring to LAN parties and take from place to place very easily. When it comes to LAN parties it takes him a whole 3 mins to get ready compared to me having to haul my big ass case along with a CRT monitor.

The XPS is very easy to stick in your backpack, its plenty portable but not something you would want to CONSTANTLY lug around campus or to/from work.

For me though my next laptop will definitely be the Dell 700m. I've met a couple of people that have them and their awesome. They practically weigh nothing and get maddddd battery life. I'll keep to my desktop when it comes to games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:02 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

This will probably hold true for another month or three. Then we'll revisit this post and see if it still holds true :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:06 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Of course it will hold true...Dell is the god of laptops...they actually just came out with a brand new laptop couple days ago called the Inspiron 9200...looks just like the 700M but with a 17 inch UXGA screen...ahhhhhhh 17 inches....thats about the only time you'd ever want something to be 17 inches :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:14 am 

Gigahertz17 wrote:
Of course it will hold true...

We'll see after the D900T is released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:19 pm 

I saw one of MaxPC's advertisers, Sager, selling a laptop with a pci-e GeForce 6800 Go...it's considerably faster than best ATI portable solution, right now. (ad was in the most current edition).

I'm very sure the Dell XPS is a much better laptop, just because Dell builds such kickass laptops, but the Sager specs out well above anything Dell is currently offering, both in terms of CPU and GPU power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:17 pm 

TechInsider wrote:
I saw one of MaxPC's advertisers, Sager, selling a laptop with a pci-e GeForce 6800 Go...it's considerably faster than best ATI portable solution, right now. (ad was in the most current edition).

I'm very sure the Dell XPS is a much better laptop, just because Dell builds such kickass laptops, but the Sager specs out well above anything Dell is currently offering, both in terms of CPU and GPU power.

That's the Clevo D900T.

The specs are out, but so far there's no word of any of the resellers (Sager, Eurocom, ProStar, Alienware, Go-L, etc) shipping them yet, so until that happens, Dell still holds the crown.

Also, I've heard that the PCI-e graphics system is modular, and you have a choice of a 6800 Go, Mobility x600, or a 6x00 Quadro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:04 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

widowpc has good laptops. not customiable, but good

Post subject: widowpc
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:30 pm 

i checked them out before i bought my alienware. the biggest problem i had with widow was that the entire phone call was how bad everyone else was and how good widow is. how alienware is a scam and how widow can save you hundreds of dollars. i had them configue there top of the line notebook, the clevo one. Aw has the same version. well widows was 23 dollars cheaper and would be to me in a week. well the reason i told them no thanks was becuase i dont care for companies that go around bad mouthing other compaines. it does not make them look good. there website is full of alienware this and alienware that. it just made me want to purchase an aw even more just to spite them. but i checked out the other clevo reseller companies and went with the aw, which was one of the cheaper models. now i get to play the aw phase game. woohhooo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:32 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

hey guys check out www.pctorque.com the Sager 9860 has been on sale since monday. That would be the D900T from clevo. Its a powerhouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:19 am 

The Sager 9860 is by far the best laptop out there for pure gaming power. Nothing at the moment comes close to touching it, sorry Dell. It does come with a pretty price tag ofcourse, and the weight and size of something you won't want to carry to class everyday, but for gaming it is the best. Buy this beast from PCTorque, you will not regret it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:41 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

You could carry that to class every day. I carry my 5690 alot and the 9860 is only what 5 lbs more?.

Post subject: ponder question!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:11 pm 

Why as I read this I think of desktop dells that some of my friends have and they are such cheaply built junk ,trapped in the time space continium ! who knows if things can really change in a laptop ! as someone said Time in a few months will tell more!

mikron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:01 pm 

Ive got a 13 pound 8500V that doesn't bother me at all.

That beast is only 11 pounds so I don't see carrying it around a problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:21 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

ya my laptops 10 lbs and doesnt bother me at all i dont see why 11 would bother me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:15 pm 

Personally, I'd like a 14 or 15 lb. laptop with as many devices that can be crammed into it as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:26 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

but finding a back for a full desktop could be hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:45 pm 
There is no cause for alarm... yet
There is no cause for alarm... yet

Flytrap7 wrote:
Personally, I'd like a 14 or 15 lb. laptop with as many devices that can be crammed into it as possible.

Do we call you Hunchback or Igor? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:34 am 

Canucklehead wrote:
Flytrap7 wrote:

Do we call you Hunchback or Igor? ;)

Neither, carting the laptop back and forth from work plus getting dragged to the gym keeps me in shape.

I just found a page dedicated to my old 8500V too:

http://www.orphanlaptops.com/8500.htm