Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: getting rid of the absolute BS on my new dell E1405
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:39 am 
Team Member
Team Member

b4 i get boos and hisses' dell is a good deal i think.

anyways i got my new dell E1405 today and it looks great but i get it started and theres 80 processes running, 80, i have never had enough spyware or use enough programs to get to 80, and i know thats theres spyware on here and ad-aware is being blocked from detecting it

i dont want to reformat because i didnt pay the extra 28 bucks for the win xp MCE reinstall cd and even then half of it is still going to be on that disk.

any tips on getting rid of all of the spyware on here and or what dell is using to cover it up?

i could put my copy of xp pro sp1 (which i stripped down with xp lite) but as i said dont want to resort to that.

Post subject: dell de-crapifier
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:01 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

you can give this a look

http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/

I've never used it ...sooooo I can say how good it works but it seems to get mentioned frequently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:38 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

First go through Add\Remove programs. For the ones not listed that you want un-installed go to that program and look for the un-installer. If that fails then De-crapifier is also an option. It has been around for a while and I personally have never heard about it breaking anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:58 pm 

Best way to do it, is download all the necessary drivers from Dell's website, burn them to a cd. Format the hard drive and start the install process all over again. This way dell cant sneak any programs onto your computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:47 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I've found that in these cases, Add/Remove Manager is an excellent tool. It gives you access to the uninstall files to basically everything installed on your computer, even the smaller peripheral programs that never show up in XP's add/remove window. By the same token, you could really screw things up, so do your research before removing something you aren't sure of.

If Dells still come with MyWay Search Assistant installed, may God have mercy on your soul.

Also, I'm pretty sure Dell isn't legally allowed to slipstream their bullcrap into the XP restore CD; they come with a separate Applications and Driver CD that has it all. My copy of XP SP2 is a clean one. At least thats the way it was in mid-2005 when I made the poor decision to purchase an Inspiron 9300.