Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Considering a macbook
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:52 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I dont know why but I've been considering one of the new macbooks. I'm in the market for a laptop and just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I dont mind weight but it can't be over 6lbs, anything lighter would be great. Also, its mainly for school and doesn't need anything graphic intense, a dual core would be great though. Anyone have any recomendations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:24 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Is there a price range?

If your looking for cheap you could look at a IBM thinkpad.
If your price limit is not too bad I would look at Toshiba or HP

Personally I dont like macs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:29 am 
Klamath
Klamath

not really a price range, just want something solid, the cheaper the better. I'm not going to be gaming on it at all..and mainly want it for school, playing divx files( wifi from desktop to laptop then hooked up to 42" plasma) and surfing the net. The smaller and lighter the better, but it has to be able to play video's on the big screen and perfrom solid.

I'm not sold on mac, just never used one and they seem to be the hype at my college now. Not sure if I feel like learning one either, but money talks. Basically looking to get best bang for my buck. I'm currently looking at an HP dv1000. I dont need dual core as i wont be doing any multitasking.....any help would be great guys. Also, the more stylish the better, I prefer black and screen 14" or less

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:28 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you don't want to game, go ThinkPad. Light, reliable, black and they generally stop at 15" or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:59 pm 

hi,

toshiba all the way.

mine . . .

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 9205023333

fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:06 pm 

hi,

someone tell or show me how to turn a url into a single word. i just can't seem to figure this obviously easy operation out.

fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:53 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

[url=(URL HERE)](WORDS HERE)[/url]

Minus the ( and ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:56 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Durig my career I have gone thru many laptops: dell, toshiba, sony, etc.
I just purchased the macbook pro for $2k: 2.33Ghz Core duo 2, 2GB ram, X1600 256MB, 100GB SATA and installed bootcamp and I flat out love this laptop.

The quality is top notch, price is reasonable and it dual boots OS X and XP. Backlit keyboard (very handy for taking notes during presentations.)
No fans. instead Mac uses integrated thermo plastic which conducts the heat to the magnesium alloy case. In essence the laptop is one big heat sink. Since they are not concerned with air flow, the laptop is 1inch thick.

My only regret is I didnt purchase one when they first came out with the Intel chip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:00 pm 

Well the only thing about mac is the price is higher. Also although it is gettin better and easier to operate i think you might feel alittle out of your comfort zone becuase when i get on my dads i feel somwhat lost lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:03 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

If you want stylish, black and light then IBM is the way to go. They are very reliable and great performing. X Series You may want to consider a tablet also Tablet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:46 pm 

If your not gaming, I'd say go with a mac. There AWESOME for apps, videos and pretty much everything but gaming. It'll be a little different to get used to at first, and alot of people bash macs but they just obviously havn't been the owner of any of macs new computers, and trust me they kick ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:25 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I love the powerbooks (yes, I know, you can all flog me later), But the iBooks just don't impress me. I will second the opinions of those recommending a thinkpad. Really nice machines.

I recently purchased an HP dv9220us from the local compUSA that was going out of business and I love it to death. HP's new lappys are really attractive if you are looking for any sort of multimedia features (not necessarily gaming).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:33 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

If you are thinking of an alternate os, then you might want to give Dell a try. They are preinstalling Ubuntu Linux on a couple models of desktops and laptops. Just for grins I priced a laptop and it came to about $1000 for a pretty decent set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:59 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

rabscuttle wrote:
If you are thinking of an alternate os, then you might want to give Dell a try. They are preinstalling Ubuntu Linux on a couple models of desktops and laptops. Just for grins I priced a laptop and it came to about $1000 for a pretty decent set up.

You can also get Linux installed on a Thinkpad. I would avoid Dell as they have had huge quality issues over the past 4 years. What do you think prompted Michael Dell to come out of retirement to run the company again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:21 pm 

Personally I hate Apple in general, but their computers are getting a bit better. I don't really do anything but edit photos for fun, and play pc games. Most of Apples iLife apps I would never use in any pare of my normal life. For graduation I'm getting a custom cyberpower laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:19 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I have an HP dv9000t, and I love it. I have Linux installed on it right now, and am dual-booting Windows Vista Home Premium. For $1800 I got a T7200, a WSXGA+ screen, 512MB of DDR2 533 RAM I then upgraded to 2GB of DDR2 667, an NVidia 7600GT 256, and many other options. Also, form what I have heard, the tech support of HP is a lot better than Dell's.

One thing I would recommend: buy the minimum allowable amount of RAM and upgrade it yourself. RAM has gotten crazy cheap in the last couple of months, and a lot of the time you can get 2GB for the price of an upgrade from 1GB to 2GB.

Word of advice: Linux and Vista do not like each other all that much, so you have to edit the boot file to be able to dual boot them. Its no big deal really though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:41 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Buy a dell they even come in different colors. http://www.dell.com/content/products/co ... dhs&~ck=mn

I would recommend this one for you:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/pr ... l=en&s=dhs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:50 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I bought a macbook pro.. 2.4ghz - 2gig - ram 200gig hdd - geforce 8600gt - I am dual booting winxp and osx. I couldn't be any happier!! I used/built winxp machines for years, never touched osx. used to own an alienware laptop and hated it.
took me like a few hours to figure most of it out, and it's really not that difficult to use. the price is a bit higher on the macs, but the quality of the machine is the best. the case is solid, compact, and evenly weighted. I get a pretty decent battery life too.. enough to watch 2 or 3 full length movies. when I boot into XP, I can play day of defeat: source, cs, s.t.a.l.k.e.r., and far cry pretty smoothly. the fans in it do get somewhat loud when I am playing intensive games, but that doesnt matter because I have my headphones on and cant hear them, and they rev down quickly once my gaming session is over. overall, I am very impressed with this laptop, and wouldnt trade it for anything else thats on the market right now!!

also, if you are worried about the no right click thing, you can set it so that 2 fingers on the trackpad + click = right click, and it works as a very viable right click