Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: gamming laptops--Big 3? or "Other"
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:52 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

I am looking for a gamming laptop, but the big three seem to be really expensive. I typed in "custom laptops" at yahoo and ran into small companies that have the same specs...about the same price, and the same chassis. Should I go with the name brand? or the "Other" cheaper brands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:59 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

depends on how much you know about pc's... If you know enough about laptops then look into the 'other' more... but if you want the namebrand to back you up then go that route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:48 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I'm suprised im saying this, but i'm actually very satisfied with an HP laptop i purchased...runs games great, (hl2, etc, etc.).

It has a 7600go, 1gb of ram, and 1.6 core duo.
its an all around good machine, not problems in the 2 months ive owned it.

(knock on wood)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:47 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I've had both good and bad experiences with iBuyPower. They have excellent prices, but their hardware is often prone to failure (I'd like to know why too! Perhaps they're knock-offs and re-stickered parts? :shock: ), but their prices can't be beat. They're worth a look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:03 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

yes, Ibuypower = junk, its pretty widely known, and whoever said they liked the HP has it right. I have 2 friends who purchased them (dv6000t) for gaming, and they are very satisfied. They happen to be pretty inexpensive, but they perform very well. in my honest opinion, I would go with that model of hp laptop. HP has really stepped up their game recently : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:33 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Have you ever considered Puget computers? Paul just reviewed one of their systems (Link). They're a dang fine company. No proprietary parts, just as iBuyPower does, but they put more effort and quality into their builds.

Post subject: Stay away from boutique laptops
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:00 pm 

In my experience the smaller laptop companies such as Sager (I bot one) don't last. The one I bot lasted exactly long enough for the warranty to run out. Now the motherboard is trash.I learned my lesson stay away from these little companies they just take advantage of people.You can go to Costco and build a custom HP gaming NB that will not break in a year and cost about 1000-1200 depending on what you want .

Post subject: Re: Stay away from boutique laptops
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:23 am 
Team Member
Team Member

randcool wrote:
In my experience the smaller laptop companies such as Sager (I bot one) don't last. The one I bot lasted exactly long enough for the warranty to run out. Now the motherboard is trash.I learned my lesson stay away from these little companies they just take advantage of people.You can go to Costco and build a custom HP gaming NB that will not break in a year and cost about 1000-1200 depending on what you want .

Normally people get really ticked when someone revives an old thread (and yes, this is VERY old), but I do have an important comment on this topic.

Before I trusted my computer expertise enough to build my family's computer from scratch, I purchased a desktop system from iBuyPower. With the exception of a drive that was damaged during shipping, which they quickly replaced, it worked very well. So I then convinced my sister and cousin to buy their notebooks from them because the price was unbelievable.

Unfortunately, it /was/ too good to be true. The onboard audio on the desktop system has failed, my sister's notebook case is falling apart and its monitor isn't working correctly, and both her and my cousin's notebooks are having very serious overheating issues. My sister's is so bad that she's already planning on buying a MacBook *when* this one dies completely.

I cannot stress this enough; *avoid iBuyPower!*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:53 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

lol i remember posting on this so long ago.. but yeah... my friend has an ibuy desktop, and i fixed it a few times... found some new surprises... this time, I went to test the ram, and it was glued into the slots?!?!!! and some other stuff was glued in as well. i mean, come on glue?? might as well be k-mart. I'm still backing the hp dv6000t's 4 friends had them for 6 months now, and havnt had any problems whatsoever. dont bother with alienware, its pretty much dell.